Corsair Community

Asus A8N-SLI DeLuxe + CMX1024-3200PRO = not supported?

EnriquePerezTer

The items in the title do not seem to work together. I have a single dimm and tried all four slots for good measure.

I switch on the PSU and the green LED on the MB turns on. I press the front panel power switch, and the front panel power LED turns on and all six fans begin turning: two case fans, CPU, PSU, chipset, and video card fans.

Otherwise nothing happens. The monitor remains black and unresponsive to the adjustment buttons, as if it were disconnected from the graphics card. No LEDs blink or light on the keyboard (USB), and there are no beeps from the speaker.

The dimm has a couple of leds on it that should show any activity (or correct me if I misunderstand the hype). I have not seen any activity. I tested the RTC/nvram battery, 3.03 Volt with no load. I cleared the nvram.

Then comes the question. The mb User Guide says (2.4.2 Memory Configurations):

"Due to CPU limitation, DIMM modules with 128 Mb memory chips or

double-sided x 16 memory chips are not supported in this motherboard"

The memory spec sheet says:

"The CMX1024-3200PRO is a 1 GByte, two bank unbuffered

DDR SDRAM DIMM" and "Implemented using 64M x 8 DDR SDRAMs".

How can I determine if the chips are "double-sided x 16"?

Does "Double-sided" mean there are chips on both sides of the module board? or that the module uses "pins" (gold strips) on both sides of the board?

What means "x16"? Does the "64M x 8" above mean it is not "x 16"? (And 64x8=512, not 1024. What are these numbers then?)

Thanks,

Enrique

Did u already try to put the ram in blue slot instead of black?

Yes, I tried all four possibilites. However, the MB User Guide says on page 2-11:

"When using one DDR DIMM module, install into DIMM_B1 slot only"

Some other place I think I saw to install in the first slot of each channel (A1 or B1). These are the blue ones.

Regards, Enrique

Enrique,

It best that are using ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe BIOS 1011. And make sure you are currently using Athlon64 with Venice (E3) core to ensure its compability between your cpu & ram.

Example: if you're using Athlon64 3200+, then look at the cpu code:

ADA3200DAA4BP

BP = Venice core that support 2 x 1024 mb DDR

BI = Winchester core that support 2 x 512 mb DDR

Hopefully this will answer your question.

Another possibility is you have to hook up the pin leads to the switches and L.E.D's on your case according to the color coded written description in the motherboard manual and not by the diagram; they don't match. When I hooked mine up by the diagram, I ended up with what you're getting. The diagram is short 2 pins on the right side if I remember correctly. It causes the POST to hang quick.

ps: A single dimm goes in the B1 slot, third slot away from the processor.

ps2: you might need a flashlight to see the colors of the pins on the board they're pretty faint.

• Corsair Employee

Please test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and I would set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts as well. If you do find one failing then lets get it or them replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

However; if you get errors with both modules, that would suggest some other problem, and I would try testing the memory in another system to be sure.

I got a new (replacement) motherboard and cpu, and that was totally different. As soon as I powered up the system the memory leds (remember? I have a memory with leds that show activity level per bank) lighted up like a christmas tree. I completed the PC and and it booted flawlessly.

-Enrique

Archived