Corsair Community

icue 4.24.193 and high temps all over

i have a i7-8700k in combine with h115i hydra. my case are a CM c700p that have 6x 120 fans and 3 x 140 fans. all rgb are working oki, BUT...
and this is a HOT but... when im gaming wow the temps go completely high wire after 5 minutes of gamin, we are talking 100C and beyond, most i've seen on GPU are 107c...
before you start howling repair icue and reinstall  blablabla, ill stop it and answer "been there done that" ( i have a ticket oen for it, but now solution yet).  I have seen something but im not sure if its related, when i start the puter and let it go idle for 15 minutes or so, all the sensors on the dashboard "freeze" and stop on highest temp resulting in fans going full speed.  the normal way is to restart service from settings, then it goes back to "normal" temps in a minute, but if i start wow again... BOOM... full stop on sensors, no graph moving and , yes you guessed it... fans on full steam....
any help / solution etc...? 

SS of the fan setup, this is pc on dle with me typing this, no others measure apps up

Skjermbilde 2022-07-02 214035.png

Skjermbilde 2022-07-02 214233.png

Skjermbilde 2022-07-02 214422.png

made a vid showing what i mean.  @ 3:10 its when wow is open , doing nothing in open world. and look at what happends when i restart the service...

something is up doc....

Edited by k-i-b

AIO cooler units come to an end when the liquid can no longer go around the circuit and the necessary rate.  This is typical for a "no maintenance" product and is more common that a blown pump or some type of mechanical error.  When this happens, the liquid becomes trapped in the CPU block for too long and your coolant temperature (H115i Temp) will slowly but steadily build from the moment you turn on the system.  There is no way you should be able to get your coolant temp to 49C on a 8700K without turning the fans off, so this suggests there may be an issue.  Since your RAM temps are so low (~40C) in that screenshot, it seems highly likely your case temp is not the cause of the increased coolant temp.  Once you heat the coolant up, it can't come back down without powering the machine off until the heat dissipates naturally.  Does this seem like your present condition?  You may have to wait a few hours with the PC off to normalize the H115i Temp.  Then when you boot up, the coolant temp and CPU temp will start stepping +1C every few seconds.

I can see in your video you are now pushing 60C on the coolant.  Since coolant temp is the baseline or minimum CPU temp, this puts your CPU temps into the critical range at the elevated basis.  The fans are reacting to the critical coolant temp and the AIO is trying to protect you.  However, fan speed won't help with this issue.  

15 minutes ago, c-attack said:

AIO cooler units come to an end when the liquid can no longer go around the circuit and the necessary rate.  This is typical for a "no maintenance" product and is more common that a blown pump or some type of mechanical error.  When this happens, the liquid becomes trapped in the CPU block for too long and your coolant temperature (H115i Temp) will slowly but steadily build from the moment you turn on the system.  There is no way you should be able to get your coolant temp to 49C on a 8700K without turning the fans off, so this suggests there may be an issue.  Since your RAM temps are so low (~40C) in that screenshot, it seems highly likely your case temp is not the cause of the increased coolant temp.  Once you heat the coolant up, it can't come back down without powering the machine off until the heat dissipates naturally.  Does this seem like your present condition?  You may have to wait a few hours with the PC off to normalize the H115i Temp.  Then when you boot up, the coolant temp and CPU temp will start stepping +1C every few seconds.

I can see in your video you are now pushing 60C on the coolant.  Since coolant temp is the baseline or minimum CPU temp, this puts your CPU temps into the critical range at the elevated basis.  The fans are reacting to the critical coolant temp and the AIO is trying to protect you.  However, fan speed won't help with this issue.  

aye. i was thinking the same thought... sooo... adios AIO and heeellooo... EK aio... 

your fan curve is way too gentle.

The maximum temperature for the AIO is 60°C, but you let the fans accelerate after 70, which will never happen since the AIO is in alarm before that

The curve should ramp up more like between 30 and 45°C liquid temp (full speed for the fans at 45°C is a good starting point).

As it is now, your fans stay at minimum speed until the firmware kicks in in overheat protection.

• Like 1

As above, but you still should not be able to heat the coolant to 60C at 800 rpm.  Do the cold boot test tomorrow and if the liquid and CPU start stepping up immediately from the moment the power comes on, the cooler has had its day.  If you are still within the 5 year warranty period you can pursue that option or go shopping.  

eeeeeeeh... i didn't see the CPU load so low.. 

The fan curve is very bad, but now i am also almost sure the AIO is toast as you said.. I wonder if running that fan curve didn't cause it to die prematurely, running hotter than it should have.

No matter what brand AIO you take if indeed it is dead, don't let the water run hot. 

60°C is firmly in the red zone. Ideally, AIO or custom loop, you'd want to keep a healthy margin. I personally draw a hard line at 45°C water temp and try never to go beyond that.

Edited by LeDoyen

noticed and changed.
i have a loooong mail ticket at Corsair now with vids / logs etc.

but this profile would be better i hope. the thing is that it might be som "ugh2 in the water coz if i rattle the tubes on the AIO , the temps goes down nice and easy after 30 sec 7 1 min. but then... temps goes thru the roof after 5 minutes or so.  
regarding guarantee, im inside the 5 year. 
I wonder if EK's 360 Elite AIO, would be better, as long as i have the correct temp profile oc /blush/. AND if i can find the right adapter to be able to use it on Icue,

Skjermbilde 2022-07-09 002915.png

23 minutes ago, k-i-b said:

water coz if i rattle the tubes on the AIO , the temps goes down nice and easy after 30 sec 7 1 min. but then... temps goes thru the roof after 5 minutes or so.  

This is a classic sign of a partial blockage. In a working cooler, it doesn’t matter what you do with the tubes. The back up is at the cpu block but when you whack the tubes it allows some of the trapped heated water to escape up the tube. 5 min later it has built back up again. 

You can shop around, but this isn’t some inherent defect in your cooler. This is how most “no maintenance” AIOs end their life rather than some spectacular motor or electrical blow out. However, it will continue to get worse with time so it should be addressed now. There are no more GTX/v2 coolers around, so you should be getting an upgrade with the RMA. 

10 hours ago, c-attack said:

This is a classic sign of a partial blockage. In a working cooler, it doesn’t matter what you do with the tubes. The back up is at the cpu block but when you whack the tubes it allows some of the trapped heated water to escape up the tube. 5 min later it has built back up again. 

You can shop around, but this isn’t some inherent defect in your cooler. This is how most “no maintenance” AIOs end their life rather than some spectacular motor or electrical blow out. However, it will continue to get worse with time so it should be addressed now. There are no more GTX/v2 coolers around, so you should be getting an upgrade with the RMA. 

Aye. might look like it.

Welll 1 more person trapped in the "don't do this" trapp. I was thinking of a new rebuild anyway. EK 360 elite aio was the way to go , i thought , but after havving a mail to EK telling me that EK + Asus MB is a "nono" regarding corsair, ( "might "be duable with a MB with 2 or more drgb headers) i might go for corsair with H150I ELITE CAPELLIX as middleway until i have my new Asus DDR5 hero up'n running. Or do ppl have another idea what direction to go , regarding AIO?

10 hours ago, c-attack said:

i started the box today and this how it looked like 2 minutes after i powered it up 

I’m afraid I don’t understand the false CUE cpu temps, but even if all the data in CUE is wrong you can visible see the Real Temp CPU values marching upwards along with the coolant. There really isn’t much doubt about the state of the cooler and support should have come to the same conclusion. 

On 7/9/2022 at 1:37 PM, c-attack said:

I’m afraid I don’t understand the false CUE cpu temps, but even if all the data in CUE is wrong you can visible see the Real Temp CPU values marching upwards along with the coolant. There really isn’t much doubt about the state of the cooler and support should have come to the same conclusion. 

I see that. I waiting for a answer from them regarding this. I tried to run wow last night, but temps spiked so fast that 30 minutes was enough. Wouldn't risk a bonfire downstairs so I'm off to get a noctua ndh 15, just so I can at least get back online. I guess a RMA isn't done in 2 days. 

Regarding a new cooler; EK cooler is good to go when I get my Asus z690 hero. If I get it right that cooler is delivered with the ek hub, and do support ASUS aura, and the hero card have both 3 and 4 pin 5v headers. 

I got the "go" from the EK support, on the "compability on asus/ icue / EK", but if some know otherwise let me know before I blow 5k on parts😯

• 2 weeks later...

Thx for the help on this one. result= RMA. i did order a Noctua nh-d15, as a backup, and maaan what a cooler for my i7-8700k.

case closed.