Corsair Community

TWINX1024-3200C2PT more than 1 gig

slikchucky

I have the Ic7-g motherboard. I've been running it with a gig of Corsair XMS memory (TWINX1024-3200C2PT - 2 paired sticks) without any problems at all. I just purchased another gig of the exact same memory and tried installing it, but now my machine either locks up or reboots within one minute of being turned on. I'm pretty sure the new sticks of memory are good because my machine runs fine when I just have those 2 in, but when i have all 4, it locks up / reboots. I've tried putting them into different slots and couldn't get it to work.

I also tried putting in another random gig of ram in addition to my original sicks, and that didn't work either.

I even tried giving up dual channel mode and run 3 sticks, and that didn't work either.

I'm hoping there's some obvious fix that someone knows about...

I'm pretty sure I'm running the latest BIOS.

Welcome to the forums!

Good and bad news............ :(: .

The new RAM is good, however it's not "exactly" the same.

Even though they're both TWINX1024-3200C2PT, the version #'s are probably

different.

Simply put, the memory chips are different on each pair and this will cause problems when trying to mix them.

You could try relaxing the timings to 3-3-3-8 with a Dimm voltage of 2.8, but you'll probably be stuck with just one pair or the other :(: .

Thanks for your reply.

You're right. They are a different version. I just noticed that the older sticks are v3.2 and the newer ones are v4.7. Per your suggestion, I bumped up the voltage to 2.7 and then 2.8, which made it more stable and allowed me to boot into Windows. Interestingly enough, after changing the voltage, I noticed that the timings were already at 3-3-3-8. Not sure how that changed from default 2-3-3-6. In any case, in Windows I was able to run CPU-Z, and each stick reported the same SPD, although somehow the older sticks reported three frequences - 200, 166 and 133. The newer ones only showed values for 200. Now sure what that means, if anything.

I ran memtest quite a few times and was always getting errors at some point. I then tried running memtest with just the new sticks and was still getting errors. Does this mean the new sticks are bad?

• Corsair Employee

Please test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and I would set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts as well. If you do find one failing then lets get it or them replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

However; if you get errors with both modules, that would suggest some other problem. And I would try testing the memory in another system to be sure.

Please test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and I would set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts as well. If you do find one failing then lets get it or them replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

However; if you get errors with both modules, that would suggest some other problem. And I would try testing the memory in another system to be sure.

I tested all modules separately and in pairs thoroughly and never had any problems. I just could not get all 4 sticks to work together. Increasing the voltage and relaxing the timings got me to the point where the machine wouldn't lock up, but I still would get errors after running memtest for a while. I think I'm just SOL.

I returned the 512 sticks and will probably buy two 1 gig sticks instead.

Archived