Corsair Community

ICUE 4.22.203 stops working with MSI z690 Carbon Wifi after a few minutes

Icue 4.22.203 is working great with my Asus ROG Strix 3060 OC and Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5.  It initially also works with my MSI Z690 Carbon Wifi Motherboard's ARGB JRainbow ports however after a few minutes of running the Temperature lighting the lighting freezes at the last assigned color and the plugin appears to become unresponsive.   Icue is still running, both RAM and GPU continue to update, it's just the MB ARGB ports via the MSI plugin that cease to update.   Selecting/deselecting ports on the MB lighting effects plugin also become unresponsive. 

Turning plugin's off/on in settings will reset and resolve the issue however it will repeatably freeze color updates after a few minutes.   MSI Central is not running although it is installed and needs to be for the ICUE's MSI plugin to recognize the MB.  I've tried disabling Mystic light service, and both accompanying MSI Lighting services to no avail although it does appear they aren't needed to be running for the plugin to work with Icue.  

Open to suggestions.  

• Corsair Employee

The only integration that iCUE has with MSI motherboards is for iCUE control over the JCORSAIR header on MSI motherboards. We do not have integration or control over their standard ARGB headers.

On 4/20/2022 at 1:02 PM, Corsair Notepad said:

The only integration that iCUE has with MSI motherboards is for iCUE control over the JCORSAIR header on MSI motherboards. We do not have integration or control over their standard ARGB headers.

Beg to differ, the MSI plugin is found under the ICUE software folder.   The MSI Z690 Carbon Wifi MB is detected via the plugin and ports for IOCover, Jrainbow 1, Jrainbow 2, PCH and RGB are configurable and working.  I had it working for over an hour once, it just has a bug where it will eventually become unresponsive not allowing you to change configuration.   The plugin will not load if Mystic Light probably the SDK is not installed however none of its services are required.  I've tried disabling them to no avail which makes me doubt it's a conflict issue.   Dominator Platinum is beautiful Ram and I'm grateful for the MB support it's attached to.  I hope someone can take a look at it. 

• Corsair Employee

I indeed did confirm that we only officially have MSI integration for the JCORSAIR header control in the iCUE software. At the same time our team is looking into your claims of those headers showing up incorrectly in the iCUE software.

Considering you already have 100% of the desired functionality how about consider supporting MSI motherboard LED functions instead of removing the capability, do you not support ASUS Aura motherboards as well?   I'd rather pay for a MB plugin I need over FANs & hubs I don't.  Please pass that along if they're determined to force investment in unneeded hardware. 

• Corsair Employee

No functionality has been removed in regards to MSI motherboard integration. Since it was introduced it has only been enabled to control Corsair RGB products connected to the JCORSAR header on the MSI motherboards that have the header.

I think you mean support only exists via the JCorsair port which would require an assortment of Corsair Hubs considering I have 10 fans.:classic_laugh:

Please see attached pictures, the functionality currently exists without use of the JCorsair port as I've said.  It's actually a great feature since most likely the Jcorsair port would not offer control of MB IOCOVER and PCH LED's along with the other previously mentioned ports.  I don't know why this wouldn't be supported, the Jcorsair port offers additional functionality, not a replacement.  I can control the ASUS STRIX which is working perfectly and doesn't suffer from the loss of control bug.  Perhaps this support wasn't intended but like I said previously you're most of the way there.  For now I'll just have to stick with static colors.

Oops, forgot the images.

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Corsair Employee

As I pointed out previously our team is looking into why the other options incorrectly showing up in the iCUE software. As they are incorrectly showing up and do not have official support or integration with the iCUE software that would also explain why you are having issues with control over those options.

Our RGB integration with Asus has full support with the exception of the 5vARGB headers allowing for control over Asus motherboard/GPU lighting. The Asus integration is also completely separate from MSI and cannot be compared.

I'm wondering if it's not an issue of the number of LED's I have running on each ARGB header so have ordered a SATA powered ARGB hub to see if that will resolve.  12LEDs per fan x 6 on each port is 72 plus I have the O11 Evo's case strip.   Ports are powered for 75 leds according to the manual.   I've also heard fans don't count since the LED's are powered by the 12v power which sounds like misinformation to me.  There's a lot of that with RGB.

I'm betting you'll find out support was intended, the plugin has graphics for MSI motherboards with a working gui interface for the ARGB & RGB ports, this didn't accidentally appear in ICUE, it was created.  In my research of this issue I came across a user video of the Asus MB plugin early release development where that showed control of ARGB ports as well, I don't know their current state not having a Asus MB.  Looking forward to what you find out and I'll keep testing to see if this is a power issue.

By George, that seems to have done it!  It's working!  I plugged 7 fans (84 Leds) and the case strip into the hub fed of JRanbow1 using CPU Temp and the other 3 (48 leds) lower GPU case intake fans fed directly into JRainbow2 fed off GPU core temp.   Lastly PCH is set to SDD temps.  FYI the ports aren't named properly, they're actually the opposite.  Minor issue I can easily work around.

I'm guessing signal degradation due to lack of voltage was the issue.  Quite a few argb powered splitters out there but this one is very small, covered and with magnets although a bit weak. Micro Connectors 11 port. if anyone's interested.

Thank you Corsair for creating the one ring!

• 6 months later...