Corsair Community

iCue not detecting I300 System causing Thermal Issues

zguy85

So didn't change anything from when I went to bed last night and all of a sudden I get the red lights when I turn the system on this morning.  I think to myself, well let me check iCue because I no longer hear the top fan. No Corsair System showing in iCue which means I can't check or change the fan curve which is at 0% stuck atm until hitting 95c then all of a sudden the fan kicks in for like 5 seconds and shuts off till hitting 95c again.

Fully uninstalled iCue and reinstalled with still no luck.  Corsair what's going on?  Any suggestions fellas?  I know Windows 11 has been updating a lot, but didn't perform any updates last night so not sure, but currently can't do anything other then basics otherwise it will overheat/thermal throttle without pump/fan controlled by iCue.

Corsair please fix iCue.  It has been a real mess for us Corsair One owners seems like for many.  Definitely feeling I could use some help with this now $5000 paper weight till I get it fixed.   Utt oh there those red lights again and there's the fan again on then off!  lol

Edited by zguy85

***UPDATE*** 

Fixed it, at least for now lol.  This time I downloaded iCue from the Corsair i300 download page and not the iCue default page.

I also had performed the uninstall removing all back ups and profiles this time.

I also had performed a restart after uninstalling and then installing once restarted.

Not sure which one fixed it probably the removing of profiles and backups is my guess.  Hope this helps you guys out in the future if you run into this issue.

If it happens again I'll let ya know.  Weird it just failed randomly like that.

Wanted to also add that I still cannot game while having fan set to default without my GPU and CPU overheating so unless they fix the default fan curve settings with the I300, you gotta set it to Custom and put it around 70%ish to keep cool.

@jupiterstar base value for Processor was 165W, yes had the same issue before upping it when I originally received the i300.  Default setting is just trash all around, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.  If your serious you gotta go custom unless Corsair figures this out, but reality is, noise levels matter more then performance to those who design iCue to work with the system.  Even at full 100% it doesn't bother me.  Being such a designer product though, noise matters to the engineers.  Just a good thing we can set a custom fan curve even though just static to one single percentage.

Edited by zguy85

@jupiterstar  So to be clear it's not a temperature problem with the system, it's the way iCue has the fan curve set at default through the temperatures.  Fan's kick up when it's already overheating (laggy) and never increase to what it should when it should from a performance stand point.

Default as stated above is designed to maintain noise db not for performance on the i300 is all I can speak for.

The whole proprietary fan system make owners of the i300 very dependent on Corsair.  And as you’re not allowed to open up the graphics card side of the case you can not make fans behave any better.

I have delved into better cooling of the gpu memory up to a point.  Since the Palit Gaming Pro gets praise for reasonably good cooling measures, I started to wonder if cooling measures of the gpu card are reasonably well done in the i300 as well.  And what we see is that the back-plate heats up and cannot get enough of its surplus heat transferred out of the case.

Did anyone check cooling measures (padding etc.) of the 3800 ti card inside the i300?

8 hours ago, zguy85 said:

@jupiterstar  So to be clear it's not a temperature problem with the system, it's the way iCue has the fan curve set at default through the temperatures.  Fan's kick up when it's already overheating (laggy) and never increase to what it should when it should from a performance stand point.

Default as stated above is designed to maintain noise db not for performance on the i300 is all I can speak for.

OK. Got it. I am more in favor of keeping noise low, but not to the point of having a heater on my desk.

Yea it's difficult to gauge for others because what could be comfortable for some I can see could be annoying to others.  I work around loud noises all day so weather the fan is full speed or 50% doesn't bother or distract me in any way.  I game primarily and always have my headset on.  Even at 75% my mic doesn't pick it up so constant 75% has been my sweet spot.

I think it could be massively convenient if corsair would allow us to adjust the top fan curve based on Max of CPU/GPU temp with ability to adjust % throughout temps as they rise utilizing the max temp of either the cpu/gpu as the deciding factor  This would be asking alot.  This would be awesome. I don't need it but I could see it massively benefiting others.

Edited by zguy85

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2022 at 2:48 AM, zguy85 said:

Wanted to also add that I still cannot game while having fan set to default without my GPU and CPU overheating so unless they fix the default fan curve settings with the I300, you gotta set it to Custom and put it around 70%ish to keep cool.

How high are your graphics settings in the games you play? Medium-ish, low? Even with the cooling on extreme, the gpu still reaches to 95-97c on my i200

I play high and after doing a 20 minute 4K max graphics stress test I couldn't get it to go higher then 66. With whole system running creating ambient heat other then just the GPU, most I've seen the GPU get was around 74Cish I believe.

Edited by zguy85

11 hours ago, zguy85 said:

I play high and after doing a 20 minute 4K max graphics stress test I couldn't get it to go higher then 66. With whole system running creating ambient heat other then just the GPU, most I've seen the GPU get was around 74Cish I believe.

Is there anything else you do to keep the gpu cool besides setting the cooling to extreme? I'm trying to figure out ways to prevent mine from reaching 90c +

@britt I keep my home around 70-74F.  I would also check your coolant pump on the GPU.  Mine is currently idling around 2020ish RPM's. With only basic browser running.  If that's good, I would remove the coolant plate from the GPU, inspect the TIM for quality and if good reattach the cooler plate with even pressure and see how she does.  Would be interested to know your results.

16 hours ago, zguy85 said:

@britt I keep my home around 70-74F.  I would also check your coolant pump on the GPU.  Mine is currently idling around 2020ish RPM's. With only basic browser running.  If that's good, I would remove the coolant plate from the GPU, inspect the TIM for quality and if good reattach the cooler plate with even pressure and see how she does.  Would be interested to know your results.

As of now, the gpu coolant pump is around 1930. My knowledge of how computers work is very slim. I am learning more bit by bit but as of now, I don't feel comfortable tinkering with hardware if I don't have to, especially when I've only had the system for a few weeks. 

In iCUE, the only gpu temp sensor that reaches 90c + is temp 2. In MSI afterburner and geforce experience, it appears it is only reading temp 1 which is always very low. I downloaded hwinfo and it says temp 2 is the memory junction. That poses the question of if that can be lowered or if it should be a concern at all since temp 1 and 3 are always in a reasonable range. Are any of your temp sensors an outlier or are they all pretty similar?

Here is a screenshot of how high temp 2 gets in comparison to the other sensors. This is with a game running at max settings, not playing, just sitting in the lobby

.spacer.png

Sorry to bombard you with this, when I searched this forum for information regarding corsair ones and thermal issues, your name popped up in almost all of them. I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

On 3/10/2022 at 9:51 AM, zguy85 said:

***UPDATE*** 

Fixed it, at least for now lol.  This time I downloaded iCue from the Corsair i300 download page and not the iCue default page.

I also had performed the uninstall removing all back ups and profiles this time.

I also had performed a restart after uninstalling and then installing once restarted.

Not sure which one fixed it probably the removing of profiles and backups is my guess.  Hope this helps you guys out in the future if you run into this issue.

If it happens again I'll let ya know.  Weird it just failed randomly like that.

What is the iCUE software version you are running? I updated mine to the latest version, 4.21.173, and it immediately had issues. So I reverted it back to 4.20.169. It has worked fine.

BTW, what is the max speed of the fan on your I300?

• Like 1

@Britt That's about normal temps man.  Your GPU is at 65 your memory junction is hitting 102. I imagine these temps were measured while gaming? That's Ok.  GPU looks good at 65 and Memorty junction is ok at 102 a bit high but ok this is due to the SFF.  A lot of people will say thats too high but I promise you thats not high enough to mess up those memory chips.  Currently moving forward with a MOD to lower the memory temps, not needed, but just for fun to see how low I can get them.  Currently have a post up about it.

Edited by zguy85

2 hours ago, zguy85 said:

@Britt That's about normal temps man.  Your GPU is at 65 your memory junction is hitting 102. I imagine these temps were measured while gaming? That's Ok.  GPU looks good at 65 and Memorty junction is ok at 102 a bit high but ok this is due to the SFF.  A lot of people will say thats too high but I promise you thats not high enough to mess up those memory chips.  Currently moving forward with a MOD to lower the memory temps, not needed, but just for fun to see how low I can get them.  Currently have a post up about it.

I just wanted to get ahead of this if this was an issue. I knew before I bought this that thermals would be a concern but these computers aren't cheap so I don't want the hardware to give out in 6 months because I was too ignorant to realize that the temperatures were a problem. I'm no stranger to playing games on low settings so if I had to do that in order to lower the temps, it wasn't a huge deal but with 3D rendering, I would essentially have to lower the quality of the outputs which would be rather unfortunate, especially given that it is a 3080. I suppose if I was only looking at temp 1, I would think everything was peachy.

@Britt I'd like to add that there is another option that you can look into. That is to undervolt your GPU. It allows to set a voltage for your GPU that's lower than factory spec which causes the GPU to draw less power for the same core clock speed (or slightly less) which results in lower temperatures. I have been able to achieve a 5-7C reduction in temperature doing this whilst maintaining same performance. This way you wouldn't need to lower graphics settings. Another option is to simply cap your frame rate to 60 FPS which would reduce GPU strain.

Here is a video on how to undervolt 30 series GPUs.

Yes it does as the whole GPU board is using less power.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/11/2022 at 5:48 PM, zguy85 said:

Yea it's difficult to gauge for others because what could be comfortable for some I can see could be annoying to others.  I work around loud noises all day so weather the fan is full speed or 50% doesn't bother or distract me in any way.  I game primarily and always have my headset on.  Even at 75% my mic doesn't pick it up so constant 75% has been my sweet spot.

I think it could be massively convenient if corsair would allow us to adjust the top fan curve based on Max of CPU/GPU temp with ability to adjust % throughout temps as they rise utilizing the max temp of either the cpu/gpu as the deciding factor  This would be asking alot.  This would be awesome. I don't need it but I could see it massively benefiting others.

The software Fan Control on Github does exactly what you describe. My system is silent and ramps up for cpu/gpu whichever is higher as needed based on the curve I set. I know you don't need it but I'm trying to spread the word since it's perfect for our systems. Getting away from icue was the best upgrade I've made. Hoping it helps someone.

21 hours ago, Burnas said:

Hey Srfsean,  i just downloaded and installed Fan Control from Github.

and also saw the video of Jay2cents abou it on Youtube.

that was exactly what i was looking for BUT it scanned my I300 and i cant seem to control any fan on it accept the CPU fan. can you maybe help?

thanx!

That’s the only fan I have it controlling as it’s the only case fan in these systems. The top fan technically cools the cpu and gpu by pulling air in through the passive radiators on each side. Look for a tear down or review of these systems if you haven’t seen how they are built.

The GPU fans still function autonomously using their default behavior in my system and that has been perfectly fine.

I set mine up the way he did in the video only exception being I added SSD temp for my NVME since it gets pretty warm. So I have 3 inputs(cpu, gpu, and ssd) and whichever requires the highest fan speed takes priority. 

what i mean is literally the tiny CPU fan is being controlled. i can hear the difference between the case fan(when i use ICUE) and the CPU fan(on the left of the case) when i use Fan Control. for some reason i cant control the case fan..

can you send me your saved config?

thanx for the if u can!

if not, no worries :)

21 hours ago, Burnas said:

what i mean is literally the tiny CPU fan is being controlled. i can hear the difference between the case fan(when i use ICUE) and the CPU fan(on the left of the case) when i use Fan Control. for some reason i cant control the case fan..

can you send me your saved config?

thanx for the if u can!

if not, no worries 🙂

Unless you're talking about a super small VRM/MOS fan that your motherboard should have, I don't know what cpu fan you're talking about.

These are the only fans I know of in the system:

Top Fan

VRM/MOS(tiny and exhausts out rear IO)

Power supply

GPU has 1 on each side of where the radiator attaches

I plugged my top fan directly into the motherboard CPU Fan header so maybe doing this would help in your configuration. I have a different motherboard and GPU so maybe my config file won't be ideal for you but if you still want it I'll send it.

Fan Control Screenshot.PNG