Corsair Community

2 Bad Sticks of VS512MB400C3?

Got two sticks of from Newegg, quite some time back. The system was unstable from the very beginning, but I was in process of moving, so the system was stored for a few months. Since setting it back up, the system is still totally unstable, and the RAM sticks have been proven as the cause of the issue. MEMTEST86 finds 5 errors on one stick, and the other stick crashes the system during Memtest under 10%.

Specs on the important components are:

Gigabyte GA-7NNXP

The aforementioned VS512MB400C3 x2.

AMD Athlon XP 3200+

WD 80gb Hard drive

Tried multitudes of BIOS configs, timings, etc. All possible combinations DIMM slots, etc.

Any thoughts?

Lot number is 0410107

• Corsair Employee

Please make sure that you have the latest BIOS for your MB and load Setup/optimized default settings, and try the following BIOS settings;

VS512MB400C3 or VS1GBKIT400C3

Advanced Chipset Features (Ctrl + F1)

DRAM Clock: 400 MHz

Configure Dram timing by SPD: Disabled/User define

SDRAM CAS Latency: 3T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 8T

SDRAM Burst Length: 8

SDRAM Bank Interleave: 4/Auto/Enabled

Frequency Voltage Control

CPU Freq: 200

Memory or Dim Reference voltage: 2.7/2.75 Volts (+.2)

AGP Voltage: Default *unless you have ATI 9200 or 9600 then 1.6 Volts suggested!*

All other settings should be set to default settings!

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

Please make sure that you have the latest BIOS for your MB and load Setup/optimized default settings, and try the following BIOS settings;

VS512MB400C3 or VS1GBKIT400C3

Advanced Chipset Features (Ctrl + F1)

DRAM Clock: 400 MHz

Configure Dram timing by SPD: Disabled/User define

SDRAM CAS Latency: 3T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 8T

SDRAM Burst Length: 8

SDRAM Bank Interleave: 4/Auto/Enabled

Frequency Voltage Control

CPU Freq: 200

Memory or Dim Reference voltage: 2.7/2.75 Volts (+.2)

AGP Voltage: Default *unless you have ATI 9200 or 9600 then 1.6 Volts suggested!*

All other settings should be set to default settings!

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

Tried these, don't seem to have ability to change burst and interleave? Otherwise, MEMTEST can sometimes get 20 passes in, other times crashes after a few mins on both sticks. Am getting farther than before though (no errors, just crashes).

Thanks.

• Corsair Employee
Can you tell me other hardware that you have on your system, PSU, Video card, any additional card installed on the system, etc...? In addition please tell me the detailed BIOS settings that you have under the advanced chipset features and the settings that you have on it?

Archived