Corsair Community

Bad RAM?

Hello!

I'm running 1024MB of TWINX-4400C25 on a DFI nF4 SLI-D. The problem: I can't get them to run at 2.5-4-4-8 @ 275MHz @ 2.8-2.9V with 1T and bank interleaving enabled.

Tried various timings and BIOS versions without success. ~10 errors after 100 passes of memtests test #8. Each stick works great singly, but when in dual channel, it wouldn't pass more than 5 min. of prime or OCCT.

CPU: A64 Winchester 3200+ @ 275*8 @ 1,4V

Pls tell me, if it's a RMA case, or I'm missing somethin else. ;)

TIA, volvic

• Corsair Employee
Can you tell me the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

Can you tell me the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

MB: DFI LANparty UT nF4 SLI-D (I tried the latest official BIOS versions, the latest beta versions - no luck at all).

CPU/FSB as written above: 3200+ Winchester @ 2200MHz (275*8)

I tried 275*7 too without a change.

Voltage = 1.4V, HTT = 275*3.0, any other settings set to "Auto".

RAM: 2.5-4-4-8 set, 1:1 set, 1T and bank interleaving enabled. All the other settings were set to "Auto".

I'm a bit confused since I can't even run more than 10 min. of prime or 5% of OCCT when disabling bank interleaving (where 1T is enabled). Weird thing: they do work singly without a problem.

As I don't have another pair of Corsair RAM here, I can't tell if it's the board, that causes this problem, or the RAM itself.

• Corsair Employee
Please set the Dim Voltage to 2.8 Volts and test the modules again, if you do find they are failing then lets get it or them replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Since shipping is a bit expensive (Germany to US...), I wanted to be sure, that the problem is caused by the RAM.

I set RAM timings to 2.5-4-4-8, 1T and bank interleaving enabled, everything else to "Auto" like before. VDimm = 2.9V (cooled them with air, since they got a bit hot).

But this time I gave my CPU 1.5V @ 275*7. (LDT bus 1.3V, chipset 1.6V)

Weird thing:

8 hours of memtest #8: no errors

4 hours of memtest #5: no errors

4 hours of memtest #4: no errors

2 minutes Pime95: computation error

1 minute SuperPi: not convergent in sqrt

~5% OCCT: CPU not stable!

Temperatures are around 44°C - pretty normal I think.

I thought "Maybe the OS is messed up?" - so I reinstalled Windows XP on another partition with above hardware settings. Unfortunately that wasn't the point: I got same problems with the stress-tools.

Since memtest gave me no errors at specified speed/timings and incresed CPU voltage, maybe my CPU is bad (since the memory controller is integrated, could this be possible?).

Remember I get no errors at all, when testing the modules singly.

I'm very confused an slowly getting frustrated, since this board is made for high speeds and I've seen many ppl using the TWINX4400C25 on it at good speeds/timings, using the same CPU as I do.

TIA for any information!

• Corsair Employee

Please make sure you have the latest BIOS installed for your MB (download the Beta version) and load optimized defaults settings, and try the following BIOS settings;

TwinX512 or Twinx1024-4400C25

Genie BIOS/DRAM Configuration

DRAM Frequency Set: 1:1 or 400MHz or 200 (if option are 133/166/200)

Command per Clock: Disabled

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 4T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 4T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 8T

And leave the rest at AUTO setting

Genie BIOS

FSB BUS Frequency: 275

LDT/FSB Frequency ratio: 4X

LDT Bus Transfer Width: 16 16

CPU/FSB Frequency ratio: 7X

PCI Ex: 100

K8 cool N’ quiet: Disable

CPU VID Start Up Value: Startup

CPU VID Control: 1.475

CPU VID Special Control: 113%

Chipset Voltage Control: 1.8

DRAM Voltage Control: 2.8

PC Health Status: Please set all temp. at 25C

All other settings are motherboards defaults

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

Please make sure you have the latest BIOS installed for your MB (download the Beta version) and load optimized defaults settings, and try the following BIOS settings;

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

Hello again!

I had time to test these settings for 10h - not a single error in memtest. As soon as I start a bench-/stresstool under Windows, I got errors - which I don't understand. What's the difference between running memtest and an application like OCCT (apart from complexity)?

I've tried to get more information about other ppl with the same motherboard/RAM combination, and it seems, that some pairs work fine, where others don't reach the specifications (one guy tested three pairs and only one did work - till 310MHz).

I've tried to overclock the CPU while keeping the ram @ 200MHz too and I got no errors - I assume, this leaves the RAM as the only possible troublemaker. What do you think?

• Corsair Employee

Well that is an extream O.C. and not every system will be able to run at these speeds and be stable. But I have no problem replacing your modules if you want to try that.

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

• Corsair Employee
I would suspect some other issue to be honest, but I have no problem with the RMA. And what do you have the HTT buss set to? you might try it at 2 or 3 if you have not done so and maybe set the command rate to 2T.

I would suspect some other issue to be honest, but I have no problem with the RMA. And what do you have the HTT buss set to? you might try it at 2 or 3 if you have not done so and maybe set the command rate to 2T.

Maybe it's just a "monday's product". :laughing: I swear, I think I have tried every possible combination of settings till now. :(: I set everything from "Auto" to a stable value (according to DFI's memory guide), I tried HTT bus ratios 2/3/4, command rate 1T/2T, bank interleaving enabled/disabled. I reinstalled Windows with stable settings (2.5-4-4-8@200MHz@2.7V), even unplugged every nonbasic hardware. I tried RAM voltages 2.6V-2.9V, used different chipset voltages and drivers, and last but not least played around with the CPU related BIOS settings. I've spend more time with benching/stressing/memtesting than working with the system. :laughing: Highest achieved stable RAM speed: 225MHz@2.5-4-4-8@2.8V.

I'm really not sure, what else could cause the problem. My power supply is a quite nice Fortron Source Blue Storm 500W. The CPU hit 2450MHz with only one stick installed. The board is made for higher speeds and I've seen ppl with these RAM getting good (most important specified) performance.

I really do hope the RMA will solve this - otherwise I need to buy another couple (brand) of RAM. :(:

• 2 months later...

Archived