Corsair Community

Bad Memory VS1GBKIT400

I purchased a Corsair VS1GBKIT400 kit from Monarch PC a few weeks ago for an upgrade to a new Nforce4 Motherboard. While my Motherboard is still on order I have been using the two sticks in my Abit KR7A (VIA KT266A chipset) Motherboard. So they are both running as DDR266 for now. My Processor is a Athlon XP 2400+

My system started to crash over the weekend and so I downloaded the Memtest86+ and started running it this morning. It was still running when I left for work and it had listed over 56000 errors. I looked at the screen while the testes were running and the errors all seem to be between 760MB and 800MB. I would guess that this makes the 2nd DIMM bad.

Please let me know what my next step should be. I would like to be sure that both my DIMMS are in good working order before my new Motherboard and CPU come next week.

Thanks

Brian

• Corsair Employee

Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup defaults and set the following settings and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and lets make sure one is not failing!

Dim Voltage 2.7 Volts

CAS Latency CL=2.5

Row Cycle Time tRC Bios Default

Row Refresh Cyc Time tRFC Bios Default

Ras# to CAS# delay tRCD 3

Row to Row delay Bios Default

Min Ras# Active Time tRAS 8

Row Precharge Time tRP 3

Write Recovery Time Bios Default

Write to Read delay Bios Default

Read to Write Delay Bios Default

Refresh Period tREF Bios Default

Came home and after letting Memtest86+ run for 10 hours had over 1,000,000 errors. I checked the bios revision and it’s the newest for the KR7A, CX, and so I took out the 1st DIMM, set all the BIOS setting you provided, and ran Memtest86+ again. After 10 minutes I had over 250,000 errors. I guess that makes that DIMM bad.

I then took out the bad DIMM and put in the one that I think works and ran Memtest86+ for another 10 minutes, no errors.

Finally just to test the slots I tested the good and bad DIMMs together again but swapping the slots. This time all the errors happened between 250MB and 300MB.

So it looks like I have one bad DIMM and one good one. What is the next step to get the bad DIMM replaced?

BTW Thanks for all your help

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Archived