Corsair Community

Awful Hydro X Temps - 3080 Ti and 3900X

JUnit

I have just finished my loop with the Hydro X system. I have:

360mm + 240mm radiators

XG7 for my 3080 Ti Founders edition

XC7 for my 3900X

During gaming, my CPU is hitting 73 degrees and my GPU is at 83 degrees. The coolant is hitting 40 degrees. These are worse temps than when they were air cooled.

I have each radiator fan set to the Hydro X option, as well as the Pump on fan header 6 as the pump option.

Does anyone know what is going on? I have spent quite a bit of time and money on this and i have added almost 20 degrees onto my components rather than taking what i thought would be that much off.

fans.jpg

Temp with hydro fans.png

gOdsA8q.jpeg

Edited by JUnit

daaaaaaaaamn those fan curves at it again 🙂

The hydroX automatic profile is from hell, that's why it's so hot (in part).

Having the water hit 40° with the fans barely spinning above 1000 rpm is doom. you will have to create your own fan curve, still controlled by water temp, but make it more agressive than that. they should spin up earlier.

Another thing you may want to consider, assuming you do the traditionnal front intake/top exhaust at the moment, is to run the case in reverse flow to avoid dumping the heat from one rad into the other.

The case temperature seems to be hitting the mid 40s, low 50s which is quite high already.

The idea is to intake air from the back and exhaust it through both radiators. That's usually what the Corsair loop configurator recommends on that type of case.

The downside is the case is more susceptible to dust buildup. The good side is.. it's easier to clean with the fans on the outside in pull configuration without dismantling anything (and you can get rid of the dust filters on the top and front which will increase airflow even further).

Hi Junit,  

I have Hydro X setup in my PC,  But I custom setup my Cooling profile.  I set it to GPU temps and had it go up to 1000 at 20c 1200 at 30c and 5,000 at 40c   Give it a go and see if your temps improve.

image.thumb.png.6966f0cb39c2317abbd5873452efb19b.png

Edited by Leekay07

Thanks both.  I have opened up the side of the case.  I was running it with the 2 fans at the top and 3 in the front as all intakes.  This is why the internal case temp was high. I have swapped the top fans around so they are exhaust. 

I also screwed down both the top plate on the GPU and the CPU block. I didnt do them all the way up as I didnt know how far I could go.  I bottomed out the screws on both and now im only touching 53deg on the GPU after gaming for a while.

I will still have a go at doing my own fan curve as well, so thanks Leekay07 for the screenshot.

yeah my CPU and GPU are as tight as they will go without rounding out the screws.  I got rid of my GPU block for my 3090 from corsair. The back is poor design.  

With watercooling, setting fan curve based on GPU (or CPU) temp isn't really useful. It works of course but it's less than ideal.

accelerating the fans before the water gets warm won't do anything besides noise, and when the room gets warm (summer?) it can get really out of hand 😛

The fans are not cooling the components, they are cooling the water when you think about it in very basic terms.

Unfortunately, Corsair has very basic controls for custom loop, but water temp is the best sensor for cooling and noise. 

And yea, XG7 is thrash for 3090's unless you like aircooling temperatures on your VRAM

3090s have memory chips on the back side of the PCB, so they need at least a solid heatsink of a backplate, and not the flimsy aesthetics one Corsair provides.

EK and other manufacturers even offer active backplates which are basically a watercooled backplate precisely to cool the GDDR6X.

On mine i had load temps of 92°C on the memory when aircooled (same style backplate as the XG7)

72°C watercooled only on the front side with an aluminium backplate

52°C with active backplate.

For the GPU temp, it doesn't make much difference, but for the memory, a decent backplate is a must for 3090s.

Edited by LeDoyen

My CpU runs at 5.4 and GPU 2040:10000
As you can see I took the LED strip from my XG7 and fitted it to this block and works really well.  I have 5 fans exhausting and on intake that is placed to pass air over the GPU back plate.  

BAD8200D-0BC2-4704-9542-B95F2FC80393.jpeg

15EF636E-F1F5-4F30-B388-5245D4D8D559.jpeg

719230F3-558B-421E-B36B-B23C0B052096.jpeg

B40A8680-1472-49E7-A264-6F596BDF780E.jpeg

Edited by Leekay07

On 11/24/2021 at 5:10 PM, LeDoyen said:

3090s have memory chips on the back side of the PCB, so they need at least a solid heatsink of a backplate, and not the flimsy aesthetics one Corsair provides.

EK and other manufacturers even offer active backplates which are basically a watercooled backplate precisely to cool the GDDR6X.

On mine i had load temps of 92°C on the memory when aircooled (same style backplate as the XG7)

72°C watercooled only on the front side with an aluminium backplate

52°C with active backplate.

For the GPU temp, it doesn't make much difference, but for the memory, a decent backplate is a must for 3090s.

Hmm ok. I have the 3080Ti.  I know there is only half the memory than the 3090 but are there any parts on the back of the 3080Ti i should be worried about?  I took the thermal pads off the factory cooler back plate and put them in the same place on the Corsair one. Is that ok?

What do you use to see the temps on the memory chips?

you can use HWinfo, it will show memory junction temp (the hottest one).

on the 3080ti, all the major components are on the same side of the PCB so you should be good. Adding the thermal pads under the memory and VRM will always help sinking some heat to the backplate so that is good too.