Corsair Community

I have a HX750i PSU

AdamLW71

and I'm building a new system with an AMD 5900x and 3080 ti inside the Corsiar 7000D with 9 rgb fans and I'm worried if this will be enough power? On the Nvidia website it says you need 750 to run this card. I wont be overclocking for a long time until the system needs it. Do I need to up the power to 850?

I have read so many different opinions. I was just wondering if some mods or knowledgeable person knows the real answer?:sigh!:

Well this is what I'm talking about. Two contradicting replies. That hasn't helped me at all. I appreciate the help but I need more than guessing. I dont want to waste another 160-200 pounds if I don't have to. I do want to be safe however.

CHeers for the replies guys but I'm still no nearer knowing lol

750 should be good enough, but you'll have the PSU well loaded. in game maybe 4 - 500W, so you'll very likely start hearing the fan kick in from time to time.

They recommend 750W because the GPU generates high transients that can trigger Overcurrent protection on lower power PSUs, short current spikes that you don't see on monitoring software.

As i was pointing at, their recommendation takes into account a 160W CPU, so with a 5900x you need less power than that = more for the GPU.

Now if you want your PSU to remain passive cooling even under max load, yea you can go for a high power one, but that's more for sound nuisance, for example, my HX1200i never starts the fan even after hours of gaming with an overclocked 3090 and 10900k (peaking at 600 ish watts).

But a 750W PSU would still run that.

750 should be good enough, but you'll have the PSU well loaded. in game maybe 4 - 500W, so you'll very likely start hearing the fan kick in from time to time.

They recommend 750W because the GPU generates high transients that can trigger Overcurrent protection on lower power PSUs, short current spikes that you don't see on monitoring software.

As i was pointing at, their recommendation takes into account a 160W CPU, so with a 5900x you need less power than that = more for the GPU.

Now if you want your PSU to remain passive cooling even under max load, yea you can go for a high power one, but that's more for sound nuisance, for example, my HX1200i never starts the fan even after hours of gaming with an overclocked 3090 and 10900k (peaking at 600 ish watts).

But a 750W PSU would still run that.

Right, I catch what you are saying. It will work but it would probably be better safe than sorry. I'm worried about having enough USB headers for everything and may get a psu that doesnt connect to Ique. I'll be using a comander pro but the two usb ports on it will be taken up by my rgb node things so i doubt therewill be any room on my mobo.

Would you say Ique is a must for psu's?

Thanks for the help btw.

a must no, but it's always a nice gimmick to have :)

You can still use one of those : https://www.amazon.com/NZXT-Internal-USB-Hub-AC-IUSBH-M3-4/dp/B08L8VJS3Z

You can use it to look how much current your lighting uses.. can be surprising..

Apart from that, the two components that uses the most power are the CPU and the GPU obviously and you have power reading on those two, so the PSU power readings are almost redundant, in a way.

Personally i don't use iCUE, but you can still read Corsair PSU data with HWinfo and the like if someday you changed brands for your RGB and fan control.

I have the older version of the USB extender but I don't know whether I trust it or not. I use it on the PC I have now and sometimes I get freezes. I just don't know if it has anything to do with it. I took it out but I still get the freezes. I have never worked where the come from. COuld be the GPU.

I dont know if it's me being paranoid but are they safe to use? Seems like a lot of things coming off one usb header in the end. I always thought daisy chaining things in your computer was a risk. Maybe that's just fans. I think the new version uses sata and the old ones used molex. Maybe the new one is more power efficient.

I have bought the HX850i in the end as I would prefer the security if I have spikes ghappening. I can always sell the other one as they have ten years and I've only had it 5. I don't think I have ever heard the PSU either.

i use the older version of the hub too. since its a powered hub, there's no issues using it.

technically the molex could use more power but we dont' really need much for USB stuff.

Apart from that it's no different to an external USB hub.

As for freezes, it's usually to do with AMD's USB, there's a big thread about it here https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=204534

you already have a powered USB hub, but maybe you need to look at updating the bios if you never did it after installation. AMD adressed this issue not long ago with an AGESA update.

i use the older version of the hub too. since its a powered hub, there's no issues using it.

technically the molex could use more power but we dont' really need much for USB stuff.

Apart from that it's no different to an external USB hub.

As for freezes, it's usually to do with AMD's USB, there's a big thread about it here https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=204534

you already have a powered USB hub, but maybe you need to look at updating the bios if you never did it after installation. AMD adressed this issue not long ago with an AGESA update.

Update your BIOS, AMD fixed that and several other bugs with this years ROMs

The freezes are on my current machine which is an intel. I'm actualy building a whole new system for the 5900x so no problems with any freezing as I havent put it together yet :D but I can book mark the link you give me if it happens. I will flash the board before I put the cpu into it anyway so fingers crossed, touch wood and all that.

I appreciate the help there guys, cheers.

The freezes are on my current machine which is an intel. I'm actualy building a whole new system for the 5900x so no problems with any freezing as I havent put it together yet :D but I can book mark the link you give me if it happens. I will flash the board before I put the cpu into it anyway so fingers crossed, touch wood and all that.

I appreciate the help there guys, cheers.

I use Intel based laptops and they have been stable. I use AMD desktops because AMD offered PCIe 4.0 2 years ahead of Intel.