Corsair Community

Tips for an EQ to make the Void Elite Wireless sound like the old Void RGB?

Between some wire fraying and being phased out of icue I recently shifted from an old Void RGB to a Void Elite Wireless and while wireless feels like relative freedom because I get up a lot, I'm not so much a fan of how it sounds. Despite being a successor model, it has more of a closed-back design and the sound is different in general too.

Running both at 40% volume on Pure Direct or with no EQ whatsoever (i.e. icue shut down) the Elite Wireless has this effect of amplifying slight echo or boom effects. I recorded an audio clip of myself and though it's fine on the old Void RGB, on the Elite I feel like I can hear myself ricocheting off the walls. Bassier sounds and bassier voices feel quite overpowering. Footsteps with slight echo - e.g. Winston walking out of spawn in Overwatch - feel like there's a LOT of tinny echo going on. At worst it sounds like the sound is playing out of a children's toy.

I've tried doing simple things like upping 4k and above by 3db, or subtracing 3db below 250hz, but nothing quite sounds right. I just want to get it back to what I'm used to. I'm not intuitively familiar with EQ, so I can't grok a solution.

Can this be tweaked or is this just the trade-off of going wireless whereby the audio has to be compressed?

Between some wire fraying and being phased out of icue I recently shifted from an old Void RGB to a Void Elite Wireless and while wireless feels like relative freedom because I get up a lot, I'm not so much a fan of how it sounds. Despite being a successor model, it has more of a closed-back design and the sound is different in general too.

Running both at 40% volume on Pure Direct or with no EQ whatsoever (i.e. icue shut down) the Elite Wireless has this effect of amplifying slight echo or boom effects. I recorded an audio clip of myself and though it's fine on the old Void RGB, on the Elite I feel like I can hear myself ricocheting off the walls. Bassier sounds and bassier voices feel quite overpowering. Footsteps with slight echo - e.g. Winston walking out of spawn in Overwatch - feel like there's a LOT of tinny echo going on. At worst it sounds like the sound is playing out of a children's toy.

I've tried doing simple things like upping 4k and above by 3db, or subtracing 3db below 250hz, but nothing quite sounds right. I just want to get it back to what I'm used to. I'm not intuitively familiar with EQ, so I can't grok a solution.

Can this be tweaked or is this just the trade-off of going wireless whereby the audio has to be compressed?

I know the situation.

I have a pair of Void Wirless Yellow model of 2015.

Since then I can't find a good substitute that provides equal/better sound and surround, I tried different brands.

So I'm considering to buy the new Void Elite Wirless, EQ may be different but what about the Dolby surround? Is the same or it's been changed?