Corsair Community

IBM eServer Issues

zeekage

Hi,

I have searched a bit and turned up nothing on this issue. I have an:

IBM eServer xSeries 235 Tag #: 8671-xxx

I bought 2 512MB Sticks of System Select PC-2100 Ram (CMSS512MBR72-266). This is what the memory module finder on Corsair's page told me would work, as well as a few other sites out there stated that this module will work with this server.

I installed the modules, but when the system boots up it tells me "Unsupported DIMM Type" in both of the slots that the modules are installed in. This doesnt seem like the sticks are bad (though it could well be the case). The other interesting thing is that newegg lists these modules as ECC Unbuffered but I looked at two of the other DIMMs installed in the server and they are ECC Registered. Something doesnt make sense here and I'm wondering if one of the modules I got is just bad, or if i bought the wrong kind or if there are some BIOS settings to change or what. I cant find very much info on this server anywhere. Any help is much appreciated.

-Josh

Doesnt http://www.memtest.org require that the memory be recognized by the computer in order for it to work?

Installing the Corsair DIMMs one at a time isnt an option as they have to be installed in pairs in the server. I tried putting one Corsair DIMM in with one of the IBM 512MB DIMMs but it complained that they are not the same and it wouldnt recognize them.

Can you point me to a specific setting in the BIOS or something to look for in there? I'm not to keen on just resetting the BIOS as the server is a fairly important one here at work and it wasnt setup by me or anyone i work directly with, it has been here for a while and I dont want to cause any problems with it.

Thanks for the help so far.

-Josh

Just as a closure to this, I tested the 2 Corsair DIMMs in an HP ProLiant DL-140 we have and both work beautifully. There must be some setting wrong in the IBM server or something. But for now the problem is solved. We are just going to beef up the RAM in the HP server and call it a day.

Thanks for the help.

-Josh

Thanks for letting us know. And for the IBM system you will need un-buffered memory the way I understand their spec.

Thats what i thought too. But the 4 DIMMs that are in the IBM server already are ECC Registered. I am dumbfounded. I guess its just a way to force you to buy their extremely overpriced RAM. Oh well.

Archived