Corsair Community

AS8 w/3200C2PT no boot into WinXP

c13

I swapped out modules of 3200C2 and put in 2xCMX256A 3200C2PT in the exact same DIMM slots as I used previously (see my post on the IC Inquiry thread: http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=188477#post188477 as to which rev./lot #s).

My AS8v1.0 (i865PE) with BIOS rev. 16 posted, detected both new modules and then failed to boot into WinXP Pro (no welcome screen, just black after the DMI pool verifying part of the show.)

The settings at that time were 204 MHz FSB and 2-3-3-6. Maybe this wasn't rev B- like I was hoping, I thought so I relaxed those gentle timings to 200 FSB and 2.5-3-3-8 and tried again. Voltages were always at 2.60.

I was able to see a "Windows XP is starting up" on my next try but then came a sudden reboot. My next attempt to load "Last Known Good Configuration" seemed to be working. Then I got a popup message about a corrupt or missing registry file needing to be reloaded, and my desktop never showed.

I swapped out both modules and replaced them with my 3200C2's, probably not in the exact same slots. I booted into WinXP no prob at 2.5-3-3-8 @ 200. Cleared CMOS before doing this.

Anyone have ideas? I did clear CMOS after inserting the new DIMMs if that makes a diff. I don't quite understand WinXP and my board's pickiness over inserting new DIMMs.

• Corsair Employee
Please load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org to be sure. If you do find one is failing please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Ram Guy, you're way too fast this time. I was still editing that you know. Will give it a try for sure :)

I'll check my IC Inquiry post to see if you or anyone hit that too.

2.70V does allow the system to boot into WinXP. Memtested and one of my sticks (rev1.1, lot #0310022) had errors.

That explains the troubles, unsure whether I should RMA or return to vendor. If I wind up with a different revision as a replacement, I read that may cause issues if I move to say a different CPU like an AMD.

Would Corsair accept my two modules and replace both with the same revision?

• Corsair Employee

Thats not really a warranty issue. But if you just baught these I would talk to your reseller. If they will not help you then you can ask our customer service and see if they can do that for you.

Please either call our customer service at 888-222-4346 and dial "0" or follow the link in my signature "If you have submitted the RMA using the on line form and have not got a reply!"

Archived