Corsair Community

MSI neo2 Platinum Nforce 3 and twinX2048 [2x1024] 400mhz ddr

Bizzaro

hello to the experts.

i used the search feature but i might have missed the discussion on dimm placement with this mobo.

i have seen several contridicting opinions [i hesitate to call them "instructions"] for dimm placement.

some advocate using dimm 1 & 3 [both greens] for ddr. the msi manual suggests that leaving a green colored dimm [1 or 3] empty while using a purple dimm [2 and 4] will cause stability issues.

others advocate using dimms 1 and 2 to make best use of ddr modules.

so im a bit confused. what do the corsair experts think is the optimum placement on this board?

as a side note, i also have the same twinX in the 2 x 512 in another box. if i were to decide to combine all 4 modules, what configuration would work best, if at all?

thank you in advance!

First off you should really be asking your MB maker this question. And can you tell me if you have a socket 939 or socket 754 MB and our modules exact part#?

thanks for your fast reply!

its a socket 939 mobo using an athalon 64 3800+ cpu.

mobo model #

MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum (601 - 7025 - 010)

the modules are: [as reads on the individual modules]

cmx1024-3200PT xms3200v1.3 0516131-1

xms3200 1024mb 400mhz 3.3.3.8

it was packaged as :

TWINX2048-3200PT

with regard to asking msi...tech support is unresponsive. the manual included with the mobo shows placement for ddr as using dimm 1 & 2. my question was asked here because not only have i seen expert advice given here [i lurk occasionally], but also, over the years, i have come to distrust manufacturer documentation that was most likely printed before beta testing of the hardware.

i did plug in this new ram to my asus a7n8x del to run memtest, and as usual, corsair performed flawlessly.

thanks in advance for your time and consideration!

Archived