Corsair Community

will a Gig of PC3500 work with PC3200?

dwnlojedi

System:

Asus P4C800 - E Deluxe

Intel 3.0Ghz 800Mhz FSB

1.0 Gig Corsair XMS PC3200 (2x CMX512-3200C2)

I have a friend that's got 1.0 Gig of Corsair XMS PC3500 (2x CMX512-3500C2) that he's willing to sell me for slightly cheaper than 2 more sticks of same size PC3200...

I understand I probably won't get the ultimate performance out of the 434mhz RAM, but I will have 2.0 Gigs of RAM which i need for all the graphics work and multitasking work i do...

can I mix the ram speeds? and work without issue? My PC is used for gaming and work, so I am more worried about function and stability than ultimate gaming or overclocking performance.

thanks in advance

• Corsair Employee
Well you can try it, but we dont officially support more than one Twinx set of modules in any system. I would try and manually set the Dim Voltage to 2.85 Volts and set the timings to Cass 2.5-3-3-7 and disable legacy USB and test the system with http://www.memtest.org to make sure it's stable. In addition, you will need to consider about 48 Watts just for memory so with the Spec you gave you should have at least a 500 Watt PSU as well.

thanks Ram Guy,

appreciate the suggestions...

just a note... neither the PC3200 Ram that i have or the PC3500 my friend is willing to sell me is TwinX... 4 separate 512Mb sticks, 2 of the PC3200 and 2 of the PC3500

I actually only have an Antec 480watt True Power PS... so i would have to upgrade to go to 2 gigs of ram?

Archived