Corsair Community

Request RMA

I bought the CMXSD256A-3200LL sodimm. I tried it on an Acer TM433LC and an Acer TM371TCI, did not work on both laptops. I'm under the impression that a DDR400 memory will automatically scale back to DDR333 if the chipset allows DDR333? Is this a bad ram or just stupidity on my part?

• Corsair Employee
Well our modules are backwards compatible to PC-2100 spec. However, many of the OEM systems will not include the bios information needed to decode a faster SPD and just not post when you install a faster module, especially one as aggressive as these are. In addition, please try the system with just our module installed and see if it will post.

I tried having just the Corsair installed and it did not post. However, when I tried it with another stick of sodimm, it posts but only shows 256mb which is for the other sodimm, and not 512mb which is supposed to be. Does this mean my laptop does not accept it or the ram has gone bad?

• Corsair Employee
I tried having just the Corsair installed and it did not post.

That is exactly what I am trying to say will happen if you use a faster rated module in an OEM system. You many times will need to use a module that is rated for the speed the system is rated for or it will not post. This is the case with most OEM systems and even some Intel Boxed MB's.

when I tried it with another stick of sodimm, it posts but only shows 256mb which is for the other sodimm, and not 512mb which is supposed to be.

Many times you cannot mix memory with these systems as well, in other words, especially with our XMS modules you cannot mix them with standard memory as the SPD's are not the same and it will cause anomalies. All of the modules should meet the specification of the system you are trying to use. Or I would suggest you use our System Select with this system. However, this may suggest there is a chipset limitation with the type of memory that’s used with this system. Does this system have memory on the MB that cannot be removed? If so I would not suggest using our XMS modules, as the memory will have too meet a stricter requirement.

Archived