Corsair Community

lots of help needed...ram/motherboard

today i found out corsair ram has a lifetime guarantee so i decided to post and see if u could help me figure out if its my ram that is defective or my motherboard. i originally had 2 512s but over time one started causing my computer to constantly blue screen. so i decided to test which stick of ram was causing the problem. upon taking one out my comp would no longer start up. so i then tried the other and my comp would start up but would not display to the monitor but the monitor light blinks as if its in stand by. eventually through just unplugging and replugging stuff by comp was able to run again correctly using the stick that still let my computer power. the stick that was causing my comp to bluescreen prevents my comp from starting up even when its in with the working 512(which now doesnt work).

again today to cash in on my lifetime guarantee on the stick of ram that no longer works i took out my one stick of 512 ram to find out what model number it is. upon putting it back in, my comp is back to turning on with an inability to output to the monitor. needless to say this is very frustrating and i can not figure out what is causing my computer to not work. why does my comp work for 3 months and then i take the stick of ram out for 5 min and put it back in and im back to getting no display? what caused for other stick of ram to start causing my computer to blue screen before eventually dying and becoming no longer usuable? any help would be much appreciated.

Welcome to the forums, grin!

First, I'll move this to the official Corsair forum where RAM GUY can give you his expertise!

Second, you may have much larger problems than RAM, but replacing faulty modules is never a probelm.

Have you tried increasing your VDimm to ~2.75 volts or so?

Have you run Memtest86+ to see if the 'good' module is giving you errors as well? It's fairly odd to have both giving you problems like this, it might be that taking a module out is resetting something in your BIOS to something that the computer doesn't like.

Have you replaced the mainboard battery lately?

FYI, I'm with you on thinking that one of your modules may be failing, but I'm concerned that your computer may have a different root cause.

Give RAM GUY a couple of days to get back with you (since Corsair is closed over the weekend) and see what he has to see as well.

Just for the sake of debugging, what are your full computer specifications?

PLUR

CK

thx for the quick reply. i cant get my computer displaying anything currently so im gonna have to just tell u my computer specifications off the top of my head. i have only had this computer since last november so it shouldnt be too difficult to find the parts on a website.

AMD 64 3000+

ValueSelect 512 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400

GIGABYTE GA-K8NS Socket 754 NVIDIA nForce3 250 ATX AMD Motherboard

ASUS V9570 TD FX 5700 256MB

Rosewill R114A Silver Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 400W Power Supply

thx for the quick reply. i cant get my computer displaying anything currently so im gonna have to just tell u my computer specifications off the top of my head. i have only had this computer since last november so it shouldnt be too difficult to find the parts on a website.

AMD 64 3000+

ValueSelect 512 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400

ASUS V9570 TD FX 5700 256MB

Rosewill R114A Silver Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 400W Power Supply

Hello,

You should take a look at your graphics card before suspecting that you have bad ram. Take it out and then put it back in to your PC. If you still do not have a display, then see if you can place the graphics card into another computer.

Mike

Hello,

You should take a look at your graphics card before suspecting that you have bad ram. Take it out and then put it back in to your PC. If you still do not have a display, then see if you can place the graphics card into another computer.

Mike

i tried taking out the gfx card and putting back in but that didnt work. i have also tried different gfx cards and that didnt work either.

Can you tell me our modules part# (How To Read the Memory Label) and the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

AMD 64 3000+

ValueSelect 512 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PS1300446)

as for my BIOS i cant check it because i cant get display to the monitor. i hope this is what ur asking for. ur modules part # link is broken so i wasnt sure what your asking for.

• Corsair Employee
I posted the same time you did, please try what I suggested and if you still have the problem, I would see if a friend can help you test the module in another system to be sure. But I have no problem replacing the module if you like. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Archived