Corsair Community

PC Club says I have a bad chip

My system recently became completely unstable, cycling repeatedly through spontaneous reboots or hanging at various points in the startup process. When it managed to get to Windows, it quickly went to the old Blue Screen of Death, but always with a different problem cited. If it stalled prior to loading Windows, it most often cited a memory problem. I couldn't believe that my fabulous dual-channel RAM chips could have gone bad, but a very helpful tech at my local PC Club assures me that one of them has, indeed, gone south. Should I now go the RMA route? I bought the system last year from a small shop in Washington State, but I've since moved and they appear to have gone out of business!

Thanks,

Stuart

Los Angeles

Can you tell me our modules part# (How To Read the Memory Label) and the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

Okay, here's all the info:

The link you included (How to Read the Memory Label) was broken, so I'm just going to guess. The label reads CMX512-3200LLPT. To the right of that is XMS3205v1.2, and under that 0341075-2. It's a Corsair Platinum TwinX XMS3200 512MB 400MHz chip.

My motherboard is an Abit AV8.

The CPU is an Athlon 64 FX-53.

I haven't tinkered with the BIOS settings, which are set at "Default".

Your turn! I'd sure like to get this piece replaced!

Yours,

Stuartus

• Corsair Employee
Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts and then please test the suspect module with http://www.memtest.org and if you still get errors please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Archived