Corsair Community

Possible broken memory causing bluescreens?

There's a bit of a back story to this one, so please bare with me. :)

Purchased 1GB of Corsair TWINX about 2 years ago (TWINX1024-3200LL) and it ran perfectly stable for about the first 12 months in a revision 1.2 Asus A7N8X Deluxe with a AMD 2800+ chip. After that time I started noticing random bluescreens which progressively got worse. I tried multiple clean installs of Windows XP - Which didn't work, as well as updating drivers, changing BIOS settings and finally updating the BIOS firmware. Nothing helped. On checking my minidump files from XP I noticed that all of the crashes were related to memory corruption, which I was advised could potentially be because of a faulty motherboard. I ran a bunch of tests and couldn't seem to get the memory to fail so I replaced the motherboard, processor and PSU.

My new motherboard is a MSI Neo 2 Platinum (Version 1) and the chip is an AMD64 3500+ (Interestingly enough this is a similar set-up to the post here: http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37954 ). However, putting the memory into this new set-up instantly causes random bluescreens. I've tried it with 512MB of corsair and 1GB of XXXXXX ram and it works flawlessly (More than 2 weeks and as yet not a single crash). I also tried my old motherboard and chip with this different memory and it runs perfectly stable.

I've tried running the memory timings by SPD (I think that's the right term) and also manually entering the timings using the values stated 2-3-2-6 (1T) on the Corsair website. I've only seen the ram fail memtest on one occasion, where it repeatedly failed test 7. I have been unable to recreate this.

Information written on the parts:

CMX512 3200LL

2226-T1

XMS 3205 v1.1

Thanks in advance.

• Corsair Employee

Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup defaults and set the following settings and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and lets make sure one is not failing!

Dim Voltage 2.7 Volts

CAS Latency CL=2.0

Row Cycle Time tRC Bios Default

Row Refresh Cyc Time tRFC Bios Default

Ras# to CAS# delay tRCD 3

Row to Row delay Bios Default

Min Ras# Active Time tRAS 6

Row Precharge Time tRP 2

Write Recovery Time Bios Default

Write to Read delay Bios Default

Read to Write Delay Bios Default

Refresh Period tREF Bios Default