Corsair Community

Random System Restarts - One Module Fails MemTest86 #5

I have been having a problem with my computer since building it about six months ago and I suspect that the RAM is bad. When running memory-intensive applications, such as games, my computer occasionally will reboot itself without warning. Sometimes a short burst of high-pitched static accompanies the restart.

I am currently using 2 x512MB modules of Corsair XMS 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered memory. I’ve tested each individually using MemTest 86 version 3.5, with each module tested in the same slot. One runs the test fine without errors. The other works fine until it reaches the very end of test #5, when it gives me a bunch of errors. When I try to play games using only the “good” stick of RAM, I don’t get any random restarts.

My basic system specs: ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe Motherboard

P43.4 Ghz with 800 Mhz Bus

The part number for the bad stick is CMX512-3200XLPT. The lot number is 0437094 – 3.

I want to make sure that I’m not overlooking anything before I try to RMA the bad module. If you need any more detailed system specs from me I’ll gladly supply them. This problem has been bugging me for a while and I really want to get it solved for good.

Archived