Corsair Community

VS512MBx2 failed memtest - should I get RMA?

chuckz

Hello

I visited this forum 2 weeks ago when started building computer. I have AMD Athlon 3200+, mobo Gigabyte-8ns-ultra-939. I installed 2 stickes (bought as a pair) of VS 512MB, total 1 GB. Installed in dual channel according to the mobo instructions. The boot screen says: 200 MHz, dual channel enabled. After a week computer problems started, I lost access to my drive.

I installed a fresh Win XP yesterday on a new drive, the problem started after a while (several hrs). Windows event log showed failed programs or corrupted files. (The system stopped booting 1st time due to the corrupted registry hive).

Drives are fine, video card seems compatible.

Finally, I run memtest from floppy according to the FAQ instructions on this site. The test is still running (pass 70%), and the screen shows 3640 errors!!!

Is this bad memory, or failed dual channel?

I read some comments and posts on this site - it seems many people have similar problems with VS memory. I understand that VS is a budget choice. Twinx are more expensive.

However, when I posted my questions on this site 2 weeks ago - I understood that VS should work, maybe not so fast..

As it turned out, it is not working at all, so what should I do?

I mean, It's not clear what happens if I return this memory, the replacement would work - maybe this kind of computer setup requires only expensive memory like TWINX. I am not an expert - I just want my system working stable. I spent weekend troubleshooting, and it seems the memory is a culprit.

Please help - do I have to do more testing? Maybe separately? (at this point the memtest runs on the original system setup, with two sticks in dual channel configuration.

Thanks in advance

• Corsair Employee
Please set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 (+.2) Volts and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org to be sure. If you do find one is failing then please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! But if you get errors with both modules that might suggest some other problem and I would encourage you to test them in another system.

Thank you

I will do the test you suggested.

Also, where I can find correct timings for VS1GBKIT400?

The list on the "timing" chart includes only XMS and TWINX.

Or should I do trial and error ? In this case, where to start?

(I thought I just buy a pair of DDR400 memory sticks to suit my processor (Athlon 64 3200+), and put them in...

Obviously, it needs more than that, but do I have to be a memory expert for running a home computer ? (sorry, my point is - please, please just give me simple instructions: the memtest page says "don't think you can stick inexpensive memory into the mobo and it will work with Athlon", so what is exactly "inexpensive"?. I treasure my sanity more than couple bucks, so tell me what to buy to get back peace of mind).

I tested the sticks as you suggested at +2V. One started running multiple errors in tests 1-3. The other tested in the same slot 1 showed no errors at all (it was a quick test, I stopped it after 15 min, seemed enough).

I will try to return it to Newegg (still within 30 days) if possible.

Thanks for the help.

I am thinking about getting a higher level kit for replacement, though...

Archived