Corsair Community

r/w failure

System Board Intel 865perlx

Processor Intel P4 3.0 478

Memory Corsair Select VS256MB400, 2 ea

Installed 1/01/05

Failure Description

Memory fails R/W test of bios startup. System runs fine on one stick of same memory. No overclocking used. Switched memory slots and R/W failure follows same stick of memory. Tried a reset of bios to slower CAS 3 vs 2.5, memory still fails. System is currently running one stick of memory with no issues. Need RMA to return malfunctioning stick.

Try automatic settings for detecting memory speed. Usualy this works fine unless you wanna overclock.

There is no dust in the slot?

Usualy if the BIOS Power On Self Test says your memory fails with default settings the memory or the mainboard is bad.

I got this mainboard that just spits out memory when inserted in the 3rd slot, while the memory works fine in my 2000 server, it generates all kinds of errors in XP.

If the system boots you can verify there is a hardware fault by checking the event viewer's system log, right-click My Computer then choose Manage then Event Viewer. If you see red X's you're in trouble.

• Corsair Employee
I would also recommend and check and see if you have the latest BIOS for your board; load optimized/setup defaults and set the following BIOS settings, 2.5/3/3/8 if you would like to set it up manually but usually Dimalau is correct running the module at SPD usually is better than setting it up manually. Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

Archived