Corsair Community

H150i XT - 3/6 ll120 fans not lighting through iCue

pcjudd2012

Hello, first time poster so please do bear with me.

Would be very grateful for some assistance.

Today I installed 6 LL120 fans in my 570x case. 3 are connected to the motherboard fan headers and slots 1,2,3 on an RGB hub which connects to slot 1 on a lighting node pro. The other 3 are attached to the radiator and are connected to the 3 fan attachments coming from an H150i and the RGB cables are connected to slots 4,5,6 on the same RGB hub as the other 3 fans. All sata connections are in place.

My issue is that whilst all 6 fans are rotating, only fans 1,2 and 3 are lighting up. I can set in iCue that there are 6 ll120 fans connected but this doesn't make any difference. I have 4 led strips connected to the 2nd port of the lighting node pro which work perfectly fine.

My question is this - Do I need to connect the 3 fans which are controlled by the h150i to a seperate RGB Hub (which I guess would require another node pro) or is there something else I am missing?

Edited by pcjudd2012

Lighting Node Core? Or RGB Lighting Hub? Unfortunately they look extremely similar with the Hub being smaller. See the thread here for reference pictures, although I am going to assume you mean the RGB Lighting Hub that came in the LL120 three pack. (Zotty's Guide)

The lighting is serial for the fans. So if fan #3 has a break, the effects stop there. Try swapping fan #3 over to port #1 (and 1 to 3). If the fan is the problem, the all the fans after #1 should go out. If the RGB Hub is the problem, it will likely be just the same, with 1-3 lit and 4-6 off.

The 4 pin fan power speed control line won't have any bearing on the lighting. It is two separate power delivery systems. You can unplug all the 4 pin PWM wires and all the fans should light up, but of course not spin.

Strangely, swapping 1 and 3 didn't make any difference. The same 3 fans lit up. I then swapped 4, 5 and 6 into position 1,2,3 and the 3 other fans lit up with the first 3 going dark.

I then tried another RGB hub (I have several spares due to buying multiple packs) and the same thing happens. Regardless of configuration only the fans in slots 1,2 and 3 light up.

Is it possible this is something related to my ASUS ROG Strix Z390-f motherboard.

Apologies for mistaking the node core and rgb hub. Also, I've tried reviewing the fAQs and the configuration posts linked but as far as I can tell my setup should work.

Any ideas?

The motherboard (and Aura) should not be able to do this. Also, iCUE has integration for the board so it's lighting should be under iCUE's control if "enable plugins" is checked in the General Settings.

I am not sure on a next troubleshooting step. It reads like a bad RGB Hub, but if you swapped an extra in and it does the same thing, the odds on a defect in the exact same place are absurd.

What happens if you select instant lighting (any color) from the drop down menu? This overwrites all other settings, so it should make everything do the same.

When you boot up and the fans are in "hardware mode", do 4-6 light up then (rainbow or otherwise)?

Thanks for the responses!

Instant lighting only changes the 3 fans that are lit and the LEDs.

The 3 fans don't light when first booting in hardware mode either.

I have managed to find a 'solution' but it means I currently cannot use my leds... If I connect both RGB hubs to a the node pro and have 3 fans in slot 1,2,3 on each all of the fans light up. This does then fill both slots on my node pro and I cannot connect my leds to a second node pro due to insufficient USB headers on the mobo.

I have a commander pro on order which could be anywhere up to a few weeks as I have another 3 case fans to connect so fingers crossed slots 4-6 work on it when it arrives.

A couple of questions ...

1) Have you tried switching channels on the NoPro (e.g. fans in channel 2 and the strips in channel 1)?

2) Have you put the strips into channel 1 *with it still configured as 6 LL fans*? Do they all light up?

3) Are you sure that it's all configured correctly (e.g. you have LL fans, they are connected to the channel that you think that they are, etc.)? Sometimes its easy to overlook something little - that's why I ask.

So I checked your questions and went one step further with an odd result...

1. Switching channels still results in only the 3 fans lighting/

2. Switching strips into channel one with this configured as 6 ll fans results in the strips lighting up.

3. I am confident the fans are connected correctly. I have 3 brand new 3 packs of ll120 fans, all identical and all cables connected as they should be.

I then tried another of the new node pros in place of the one I was previously using and when I booted my machines all 6 fans lit up plus the LEDs in channel 2. I was very pleased until I logged into windows and all fans went dark. Launching iCue and setting up the new node pro with 6 ll fans in channel 1 and 4 leds in channel 2 then sets me back to my starting point of having 3 fans lit (1,2,3 on the rgb hub) and the leds lit.

It seems as though this is a software issue based on the above but I don't know what steps to take. Any ideas in light of the above?

Thanks again/

Hmm this is odd, we basically have the exact same setup and everything you have done is correct. Its a shot in the dark but have you tried reinstalling icue? Also are all the hubs powered from the same SATA power wire? I once came across an issue where 3 fans wouldn't light up when the RGB and commander Pro (not your exact setup I know) were running from the same SATA power wire from the psu. For example we had 2 ssd, rgb hub and commander Pro on one wire and a AIO and HDD on another cable. Swapping the commander with the HDD fixed this particular issue.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have done a couple of fresh installs of the iCue software periodically as I've made changes and so far this hasn't helped.

I also tried changing the positions on the sata cable as suggested and having the hub and node pro on different sata cables but sadly this didn't work (I was hopeful this might be the solution).

Hopefully there is still something I've missed that may be able to be suggested as the solution.