Corsair Community

Flakey stick

Hi,

I think I need an RMA.

I purchased VS256MB400 and installed it in my Giga-byte GA-7VAXP mb in the second slot. I had another 256MB stick in the first slot that shipped with the computer. Everything worked fine for about a day and a half, then with increasing frequency, the system started spontaneously rebooting (e.g. no lock up, no BSOD, just instantaneous jump to black and white console screen). Over the next day, the reboots were occuring every 2-4 hours.

Since then I've tried: reseating the memory, trying it without the original memory stick (Corsair stick in slot 1), trying the original memory solo and all behavior leads to reboot behavior seen only when the Corsair stick is in the system. I verified the motherboard compatability with this memory and I've trolled the BIOS for a suitable setting, but nothing seems to affect the problem.

I purchased from Tigerdirect, by the time I was convinced it was the stick, I was 2 days over their return period.

Thanks,

M

I would try and set the Dim Over Voltage Control to +.2 Volts and test the module by it self and you should set the memory frequency so it's in sync with your CPU.

Hi-

I tried setting the over voltage to +.1 and the system wouldn't boot --> it gets hung up while booting win2K. This made me nervous about setting it to +.2. I set the over voltage to 0.0 and tried to set the cpu and memory to the same freq., but the system rebooted when I loaded a memory intensive application (video editing).

M

• Corsair Employee
That might suggest some other problem, can you test the module in another system? And if you do find it's failing please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Archived