Corsair Community

IBM R51 issues with XMS?

anthonypants

I got a new laptop, and to celebrate, bought some new RAM for it. I got two sticks of the 512MB PC2700 XMS RAM (CMXSD512-2700LL), and when installing it, it did not boot at all. In fact, I got the series of beeps that indicated that something was wrong with the system memory. I tried both sticks in different combinations or in conjunction with the 256MB stick that was already in my laptop when it arrived, and the only time it booted was when the new RAM was absent from my machine. A friend of mine with a laptop said he'd check it out, and his laptop accepted my RAM just fine, and my laptop accepted his RAM just fine. So...that's how we settled it. He mentioned that my problems might be on account of my integrated video controller (an Intel Extreme Graphics 2), but I hadn't heard of any such issues before. Has anyone else?

• Corsair Employee
I would check with IBM to make sure that you have the latest bios and then if you can get into the bios load setup defaults and exit saving changes and turn the system off before it bots to the O.S. and swap the modules.

Archived