Corsair Community

Bad CMX512-2700C2

FiveO

Ram Guy,

I just received my stick that I had ordered from http://www.buyxg.com and I am fairly certain it is bad. I installed it into my Asus A7V8X with a Athlon XP 2400. It sees the RAM but when you try to load a OS it fails. I tried two different versions of Linux and Windows XP Professional and they fail to load. My other computer has a A7N8X with a CMX512-2700C2 in it. I took the memory out of it and put it in the A7V8X and it worked fine. I am certain that it is not a BIOS setting as my other stick worked. The only difference is that my new one that just came today is revision 1.4 and my good working one is revision 1.3 I also tried the suspected bad module in all three memory slots and I also double checked to make sure that I have the latest BIOS installed. I even reset the BIOS settings back to factory defaults to no avail. I am going to contact the company I purchased it from tomorrow but I just wanted to get your thoughts on it. I work on computers for a living and I suspect it is the module because my other stick works.

Also I took the suspected bad module and installed it into my A7N8X system that has Windows XP installed on it. Windows XP failed to load with the suspected bad module and when I put the orginal one back in it booted properly again.

Jason

• Corsair Employee

Please try and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts and set the timings manually and test the modules with http://www.memtest.org.

CPU Freq: 166 MHz

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 166MHz

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

Please try and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts and set the timings mnaually and test the modules with http://www.memtest.org.

CPU Freq: 166 MHz

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

RAM GUY,

I currently have it set for manual on the RAM timings. 2T-3T-3T-6T and I enabled the 1T Timing Control instead of AUTO. Also currently the memory timing was set to Auto but I did have it specified at 333MHz. I also had the memory set to 2.75 volts as the is the only 2.7 volt option I get with my BIOS.

Also I am not sure about the CPU Frequency being 166MHz as that would be overclocking it my case. I have a Athlon 2400XP with runs at 2000GHz With a 15x multipler I am running 133/33 for the frequency setting to attain the 2000GHz spec. The BIOS automatically configured the settings when I selected it from the list on first boot. I did not try out the memtest but I will tonight when I get home from work.

• Corsair Employee

Sorry my mistake.

CPU Freq: 133 MHz

Memory Frequency: 125%

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T (With 2 modules should be 2.5T)

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T (With 2 modules should be 7T)

And with 2 modules they should be in slots 1-3 as well.

Sorry my mistake.

CPU Freq: 133 MHz

Memory Frequency: 125%

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T (With 2 modules should be 2.5T)

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T (With 2 modules should be 7T)

And with 2 modules they should be in slots 1-3 as well.

RAM GUY,

In my scenario I am using only 1 stick of the CMX512-2700C2 in my ASUS A7V8X system. I apologize I didn't mention that earlier. Thank you for the info about changing timings when running two modules as I did not know you were supposed to do that. I would have left them the same without thinking anything of it.

• 2 weeks later...
Please let me know if that does not solve the problem.

RAM GUY,

Follow up. Those timing settings still did not work for me. I ending up RMAing it back to the place of purchase and they are sending me a replacement. I appreciate all of your assistance.

Archived