Corsair Community

bad memory slab

networker

I have a matched pair of CMX512-3200XLPRO. After having built my new machine everything works except for gaming, It does not matter what game I play after a short period of time my computer crashes and auto restarts.

Computer components

Windows XP with all updates

MSI K8N Neo 2 platinum

AMD 64 3800

Nvidia 6800 gt

Sound blaster audigy 2 platinum

2 Western digital 74gig raptors in raid 0

16x dual layer, dual format dvd

water cooling for the proccessor and the graphics card

I do not overclock, I am just after low latancy and rock solid stability; I have not been able to play any of my games with out crashes, I play all the latest and greatest games, HL2, Doom3, etc.

I have done a Memtest and it finds errors all over the place, I would like to RMA this matched pair for a new set please.

Please test the modules one at a time with the Dim Voltage set to 2.8 Volts with http://www.memtest.org

First I have to say I was unaware of the voltage requirement, so I went in and changed it to 2.8, the bios gave a big warning in red letters, but I proceeded anyway. There was no change in operation after the voltage change, system still reboots randomly while gaming.

It took hours to finally get a working copy of memtest86+ to work off a cd, but I have done it and then ran all the tests. (the previous memtest I used was a version that operated in windows)

I tested each module by themselves for many cycles, then ran the bit fade test on each, then performed the memory sizing tests in addition to the standard tests. I then tested them together, the program recognized dual channel and the correct amount of ram, so I ran all the same tests as on the indiviual moduals.

In all 3 testing configurations there were no errors except for the BIOS-ALL test which reported thousands of errors never completing the test run, just continous errors, this occured in all three testing configurations. For all other tests there were no errors reported.

This leads me to believe that the ram is good and there is a problem with the motherboard. Please let me know what my next step should be in resolvng this issue, I have already replaced the power supply with an Atech 550 true power, with no change in the problem.

Your time and opinion is very much appriciated

You might check that your PSU is ATX 2.0 Compliant as I think that is a requirement. And to be sure you can test the modules in another system if you have one.

The mother board has ATX 1 printed on the board next to the power socket, as well as being listed in the manual.

I do not have another system to test the ram in, as all my duckets have been spent on this one machine.

Ideas?

• Corsair Employee
ATX1 is the lable not the spec. But I looked at the manual and they do not specify the ATX revision, but most of the other MB's with this chipset suggest ATX 2.0 Compliant PSU's. And based on what you have posted I would try another PSU if you can just to test.

ATX1 is the lable not the spec. But I looked at the manual and they do not specify the ATX revision, but most of the other MB's with this chipset suggest ATX 2.0 Compliant PSU's. And based on what you have posted I would try another PSU if you can just to test.

this is the second power supply I have used both being new. The motherboard requires a 20 pin power supply plug, ATX 2.0 is a 24 pin layout.

more ideas?

• Corsair Employee
ATX 2.0 usually are 24 pin but that would be for dual 12 Volts rails. I would try and clear the bios with the jumper and load setup defaults and then test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.or and if you still get errors please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Archived