Corsair Community

I think I have a bad part - please help

evanspaul

Hi,

I have the following ram 1GB DDR XMS3200XL platinum twinx (2x512MB) CAS 2-2-2-5. I have motherboard P4C800E Deluxe with stock settings in bios. I have used both memtest, simmtester and microsoft memory tester on both modules and modules individually as you specify in your forums. All test are showing errors. I have been having random errors in windows xp several bsod's and data being corrupted or lost. I have tested my hard drives for corruption - they appear to be ok. The processor is a P4 3.2E 1MB L2-Cache 800 MHz FSB PGA-478 (BX80546PG3200ESL7E5). I also have a X800XT PE Sapphire Graphics card - please note all these components are new.

PLease advice whether I should request a rma for the ram to be replaced.

Thanks for your help as this forum seems well supported and knowledgeable.

Paul. :(:

Me again, just some additional information. I ran memtest with usb legacy (thingy) disabled as detailed in your other posts.

I also have tried running stock settings with ai overclock set to manual as follows:- cpu 200, dram - 400, agp/pci - auto, cpu - auto, ddr core - 2.75, agp vddq - default setting. Performance mode - standard.

I ran memtest it failed several times !!

I also had the following error message in event viewer, if it is at all related to ram:-

"The driver ati2dvag for the display device \Device\Video0 got stuck in an infinite loop. This usually indicates a problem with the device itself or with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly. Please check with your hardware device vendor for any driver updates."

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Paul.

Hi RAMGUY, me again !!

I have now tested the modules with a cas latency of 3-3-3-6, with both modules in (dual channel), everything else stock (FSB 200, RAM 400, PAT - Disabled)and memtest showed no errors at all.

However if I run the ram at 2-2-2-5, then there are loads of errors.

Do you think this could be a MOBO problem? I specifically bought this excellent RAM to run it at 2-2-2-5 as advertised, any ideas what else could be at fault!?

Thanks again for your help,

Paul.

MOBO is ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe (latetst revision bios), Graphics Card is Sapphire X800XT PE, PSU is a Thermaltake 560W.

Settings when using CAS 3-3-3-6:-

FSB 200MHz, PAT Disabled, RAM 400MHz, DDR Voltage 2.85V

Settings when using CAS 2-2-2-5:-

FSB 200MHz, PAT Disabled, RAM 400MHz, DDR Voltage 2.85V

I get no memory errors when running 3-3-3-6 in dual channel, however I get loads when running 2-2-2-5.

Thanks for your help,Paul.

• Corsair Employee

I would try and load setup defaults with the suspect module installed and then test with these settings and do not make any other chnages other than what listed. Then test the modules one up with http://www.memtest.org

AI Over Clock Tuner: Manual

CPU Freq: 200Mhz

Dim Voltage 2.75 Volts

System Performance: Auto

DRAM Clock: 200MHz/400DDR

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 5T

SDRAM Bank Interleave: 4 Bank

All other settings are motherboard defaults.

Hi RAMGUY,

Thanks for your reply. I have tested each module individually as you specify and they both show loads of error when using memtest. Could this be a mobo problem as you say it is unlikely that both modules are at fault. Do you know a way I can test to see if it is my motherboard !??

I have requested a RMA from overclockers.co.uk where I bought the ram, I will be sending them back tomorrow. Thanks for your help I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks,

Paul.

What do you mean by setup defaults, Hyperthreading is on, everything else was set as exactly as you mentioned in you post.

With USB legacy disabled I ran memtest as you requested against each module individually, they both showed loads of errors. I have even tried them in different slots on the motherboard (1 and 3) and (2 and 4).

Thanks for your help,

Paul.

• Corsair Employee

Paul,

Please go to bios setup and then under the exit menu Load setup defaults.

This will do 2 things 1- Clear out the DMI pool and 2-Load default values for the system configuration detected. I have not seen any MB manual that does not suggest you load setup defaults when ever you first build the system or if you make a major change in the system configuration. But if you still get errors with both modules testing them one at a time I would see if a friend can maybe help you test the modules in another system.

Ati2dvag.dll is the ATI Radeon driver... this type of error frequently occours with the combination ASUS+ATI.

We have discussed this issue here.

Evanspaul, do u have in your BIOS a section for PCI-Express managment (PEG modes, usually under "Chipset on Ami Bios)? If so, what are your settings, in particular PEG Link Mode?

Set this to SLOW and u should run correctly...

Let me know.

Bye

Thanks ram guy I will do as you say and get back to you. Thanks for your continuing help.

Hi [Excalibur], thanks for replying. My motherboard is an ASUS p4c800-e deluxe it doesnt support PCI express. I dont think I would have the option PCI-Express managment, I will look for the "PEG modes" and try setting it to SLOW. What does this actually do, will this effect the graphics cards performance??

Thanks,

Paul.

Sure, u're right, i was confused about the model of your video card, because for Sapphire the models labeled X300, X600, X800 and X850 are PCI-Express cards.

And your mobo p4c800-e is based on Intel 875 chipset, so it doesn't support DDR2 and PCI-express, but it supports Intel PAT (Performance Acceleration Technology) and AI overclocking.

So this could be a possible cause of failure... Some settings [AUTO] in AMI Bios for ASUS cards doesn't correspond to a "default" set (ie PEG link mode set to AUTO will overclock the video card by 8%).

Well, you can check the settings "Performance Mode" or "System Performance" (i saw that is set to AUTO!!!) and AI overclocking and see if this can help you. With tools like CPU-z and SetFSB look at the frequency of the CPU, RAM (with CPU-z), FSB, AGP and PCI (with SetFSB), check if these are what you expect.

Thanks to Ram guy and excalibur for replying. I returned the memory to overclockers for RMA last week, I got the new memory yesterday, installed it revert to default settings as ram guy suggested - ran memtest and everything checked out fine in dual mode.

I then went into bios and set the memory timings to 2-2-2-5 and ran memtest again - everything checked out fine in dual mode.

I then enabled performance mode for the ram and tested again with memtest - again everything checked out fine in dual channel mode.

I think I am sorted now - thanks everyone for your help, VERY COOL FORUM.

All I am concerned about now is this error "The driver ati2dvag for the display device \Device\Video0 got stuck in an infinite loop", it hasnt happened since. But I am just hoping it was related to the bad memory. I am running version 5.2 of the catalyst drivers is it likely to be the new version of the driver. I was only running the latest demo of Splinter Cell Chaos Theory and it crashed at the end with this error. SHould there be anything else I should check out.

Thanks all for your help, Paul. :biggrin:

• Corsair Employee
That would suggest a bios/driver problem. Make sure that you have the latest bios and or driver and when you update drivers that you un-install old drivers before you install the new one. That can cause the Infinite loop error as well.

Archived