Corsair Community

A8N-SLI Deluxe issues

Oromet

Hi RAM GUY, first of all thanks for all your work here on the forums. The support you provide as I read through the forums here is really awesome!

First of all system specs are:

AMD 64 3500+ Winchester

ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe

Sapphire X850 XT PE

SATA 37gb 10k RPM drive

380w Antec True Power

RAM timing:

Memory timing 1T

CAS 2.0

RAS to CAS 2

Min RAS active time 5

Row precharge 2

Row cycle time 7

Row refresh cycle time 9

write recovery time 2

read-to-write delay 1

And one thing I have seen you mention on the SLI boards is to turn that off, I have it set to NORMAL, or 1 videocard.

I am running everything at stock settings right now for the CPU, as in everything is AUTO. The RAM that I bought is the XMS extra low latency 2-2-2-5 PC3200 RAM, 2x512 sticks.

Obviously this is a game rig, I play World of Warcraft which is a pretty graphics intensive game. Ever since I upgraded to this system I was plauged with these game crashes relating to a memory error. So I ran memcheck and these chips were failing on test 5. I then ordered a new pair through newegg and RMA'd this pair. I got the new sticks yesterday, same issue, test 5 keeps failing. So then I tried running the new sticks here 1 at a time, it passes test 5 just fine, no errors after 4 passes, each stick.

So my question is, do I have a bad motherboard or is there some trick to get these two sticks to run in dual channel at the 2-2-2-5 speeds? If I set the RAM to AUTO, Sisoftsandra detects the RAM at 2-3-3-6. And if I run memcheck at those settings, it passes just fine. It only fails test 5 when I run it at 2-2-2-5 speeds.

I have tried BIOS version 1002,1003 and beta 1004-001. I have tried running the ram voltage from AUTO all the way to 2.9v. Nothing I have tried here will get both sticks to pass test 5, but like I said single mode, they pass fine so I don't "think" it is the RAM. I am thinking I may have a setting wrong in BIOS or the Mobo is bad. I Soooooooooooooo hope it is not the mobo as I do not want to dissemble this thing and RMA it.

Oh also, what's weird is with both sticks at 2-2-2-5 at 2.85v will only come up with 2 errors on test 5. On 2.75v, 2.8v and 2.9v it comes up with 4 errors. So I am at 2.85 right now since it gives the least amount of errors but I would obviously like to get zero errors on test 5 :)

Any advice you can offer I would greatly appreciate and thanks in advance!!

(I hope I have given enough details up front here)

I would suggest a bigger PSU at least 450 Watt with your config. and 500+ Watts would be suggested. Can you test the modules in another system one at a time?

Well one at a time in my system now they work just fine, test 5 passes fine. It is only when I run both sticks at the same time do they fail.

• Corsair Employee

Please set the Rass to Cass to "3" and see if that will resolve the problem.

But some systems will just not run well with the Rass to Cass set to "2"! And you do have the Dim Voltage set to 2.8 Volts and did you try and clear the bios with the new PSU?

Please set the Rass to Cass to "3" and see if that will resolve the problem.

But some systems will just not run well with the Rass to Cass set to "2"! And you do have the Dim Voltage set to 2.8 Volts and did you try and clear the bios with the new PSU?

Fails at the setting as well. Cleared BIOS too just now, still fails. 1 stick it passes, both installed, no dice.

Fails at the setting as well. Cleared BIOS too just now, still fails. 1 stick it passes, both installed, no dice.

I'm not sure what else to try. I mean it is a brand new system, I guess it is possible I got a bad CPU and/or MB right off the bat...

I put the RAM back to AUTO for timings and will just run with that I guess. I'm just disappointed that this RAM will not run dual channel at the specified timings.

Archived