Corsair Community

Lighting Node, Commander Pro, SL, HD...Arrgghh - Help Please

LEIP

Hi,

Thank you in advance for reading my post and any suggestions you have to offer.

I am building a new machine with the Crystal 570x (black) and am looking to purchase six LL 120s, getting rid of the three RGB fans the case comes with and purchasing some of the Corsair LED strips. I have already purchased my NXZT Kraken X52 for CPU cooling. I was going to swap out the two 120MM fans that come with the Kraken for two of the LL 120s mentioned above (side note - top mounted should they exhaust or intake - to bring cool air over the radiator?).

Here in lies my confusion:

1) Do I need the commander pro?

2) I see there is a SL and HD node (SL comes with the case and HD comes with a three pack) - do I need one versus the other?

3) Or should I buy six fans separately as the controller comes with the case?

4) will NXZT Kraken work with this or will there be a separate on-board controller for that device

5) For my GSKILL DIMMs (Trident Z RGB) - will their be control capabilities for these? How?

Thank you in advance for your responses. I appreciate the assistance. The more I read and analyze, the more confused I get.

Thank you,

LEIP

Hi,

Thank you in advance for reading my post and any suggestions you have to offer.

I am building a new machine with the Crystal 570x (black) and am looking to purchase six LL 120s, getting rid of the three RGB fans the case comes with and purchasing some of the Corsair LED strips. I have already purchased my NXZT Kraken X52 for CPU cooling. I was going to swap out the two 120MM fans that come with the Kraken for two of the LL 120s mentioned above (side note - top mounted should they exhaust or intake - to bring cool air over the radiator?).

Here in lies my confusion:

1) Do I need the commander pro?

No, you do not need it. You'll need either a Commander Pro (CoPro) or a Lighting Node Pro (NoPro) to configure the lighting for the LL fans.

2) I see there is a SL and HD node (SL comes with the case and HD comes with a three pack) - do I need one versus the other?

There is only one Fan Hub, regardless of SP or LL or HD. The SP and the HD fans have push button controllers and they are not interchangeable. The LL fans do not have a Fan Hub.

3) Or should I buy six fans separately as the controller comes with the case?

As mentioned above, you'll need either a NoPro or a CoPro. So you should get the multi-pack, which comes with a NoPro. You'll have a spare Fan Hub.

Now ... if you want, you can get the CoPro and it'll do everything that the NoPro does ... plus fan speed control, 2 internal USB headers and 4 thermistors to monitor temperatures. IMHO, it's a pretty cool device and allows for pretty precise control over temps and fan speeds.

4) will NXZT Kraken work with this or will there be a separate on-board controller for that device

The Kraken has it's own control software based on NZXT's CAM. That's about all that I know. You'll control the LL fan's lighting in Link but you'll control the Kraken with CAM.

5) For my G.SkillL DIMMs (Trident Z RGB) - will their be control capabilities for these? How?

Not sure. I doubt it'll be in the Corsair software .... maybe your motherboard LED software?

Thank you in advance for your responses. I appreciate the assistance. The more I read and analyze, the more confused I get.

Thank you,

LEIP

Have you taken a look at the RGB FAQ? Check it out; it's linked in my signature. Hope this helps.

DevBiker - thank you for your reply and pointing to me to your guides. That was very helpful and a good deal of this is now clear to me. Unfortunately a google search of my initial questions did not help me arrive at your helpful FAQ.

As a follow-up, it would seem like the case comes with SP fan controller, but not the HUB. Since I am purchasing the LL series, I will need a hub. Additionally I would like to have between two and four strips. It would seem like the best course of action is to purchase:

* (3) LL120 fans Inidividually

* (1) LL20 fans 3-pack - in order to get the hub and the node (don't necessarily need the node it seems)

* (1) Commander pro - as I do want ventilation to be auto

* (1) CORSAIR CL-8930002 RGB LED Lighting PRO Expansion Kit

Is this parts list the best way to tackle what I am trying to accomplish?

Thank you again for your help and responses.

Regards,

LEIP

DevBiker - thank you for your reply and pointing to me to your guides. That was very helpful and a good deal of this is now clear to me. Unfortunately a google search of my initial questions did not help me arrive at your helpful FAQ.

As a follow-up, it would seem like the case comes with SP fan controller, but not the HUB. Since I am purchasing the LL series, I will need a hub. Additionally I would like to have between two and four strips. It would seem like the best course of action is to purchase:

* (3) LL120 fans Inidividually

* (1) LL20 fans 3-pack - in order to get the hub and the node (don't necessarily need the node it seems)

* (1) Commander pro - as I do want ventilation to be auto

* (1) CORSAIR CL-8930002 RGB LED Lighting PRO Expansion Kit

Is this parts list the best way to tackle what I am trying to accomplish?

Thank you again for your help and responses.

Regards,

LEIP

The case will come with an RGB Fan Hub and the SP push-button controller.

So ... if you are going to go down the CoPro route (and it's really a great device), then you can get individual fans and the Lighting PRO expansion kit and call it a day. You'll have everything you need ... with nothing to spare but the SP fans that come with the case.

You also have to promise to post pics of the build. ;-)

The case will come with an RGB Fan Hub and the SP push-button controller.

)

Thank you again - I wish they put that in the specs or technical information. I saw the controller in the user manual but no mention of the hub.

I appreciate all your help, now I can put the final touches on my order and then try to wait patiently for everything to arrive (that is the tough part).:sigh!:

I will definitely post pics when it is complete. Can't wait to get to building!!

I appreciate your prompt replies DevBiker!

Best,

LEIP

Archived