Corsair Community

Failure to boot

haggis

Hi

I bought a new PC with only 256Mb or Ram intending to upgrade to 1GB at home.

This did not work - the machine refuses to even contemplate booting - no disk, no video - nada.

Details are below - any help would be v much appreciated!!

Many thanks

Duncan

PS Have tried all combinations of slots and memory - machine even refuses to boot with the original memory in one slot and the Corsair in the other.

=================================

Motherboard: ASUSTek Computer Inc.

K8V-MX

Version: Rev 1.05

BIOS: 1006.003. - American Megatrends Inc.

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 processor 3000+

Clock speed: 2000MHz

Existing RAM: 256MB HYMD232 646D8J-D43 400mhz PC3200

Purchased RAM: Corsair Value Select 184-pin DDR-DIMMs

VS1GBKIT400C3

PC3200 NP CL3 2 x 512MB

Most likely, you need to do 2 things.

1. Find the CMOS jumper (it's detailed in the manual) and reset the bios. Then, install only 1 stick of the new VS memory. If this works, refer to step 2.

2. Use only the new memory in slots 1-3. Mixing revisions and types of memory is usually a bad idea and you get the results you have.

Mike.

Hi

Thanks for that.

Sadly no immediate joy.

No schematic was given for the board by the manufacturer but I found a jumper that seemed to do the job (it started demanding dates/times etc).

However it did not fix the problem.

We have tried with a single VS DIMM and get exactly the same problem.

Boot up seems fine - one beep, disc whirr - but then it all stops before we get any video.

Is there any way that the box builder could have "nobbled" the system so that only they can supply RAM? Sounds far fetched but I am running out of ideas here!

Many thanks for all/any assistance.

Duncan

Is there any way that the box builder could have "nobbled" the system so that only they can supply RAM? Sounds far fetched but I am running out of ideas here!
It is possible that there is some element of the bios that would make the unit somewhat proprietary forcing you to deal with the builder. Who is the maker/builder of the machine? Perhaps they have some ideas and/or a newer bios?

Mike.

Archived