Windows install problems / BSOD

Skeletor

Hello Ram Guy.

I have the following :

MB = Gigabyte K8NSPRO

Video = ATI X800PRO

HardDrive - 2 x WD RAPTOR 36GB in Raid0

Sound Blaster audigy 2 zs

corsair twinx 512mb xms3200 (cmx512-3200xlpt) (1G TOTAL)

I have had this system running for several months without any problems.

Suddenly i started getting BSOD and pc would freeze or auto reboot while

playing battlefield vietnam.

Windows error reporting indicated a problem with the sound card driver.

Reinstalled sound card driver but same problem. Replaced the sound card with a new one since it was under warranty. Same problem.

I saw that I had an IRQ conflict with the NVIDIA raid controller and the sound card. Changed the IRQ in the bios but windows kept changing it when the hardware was detected. Moved the sound card to a new slot on the MB but still same IRQ was assigned when windows detected new hardware.

Deleted the driver for the card and moved to a new slot again.

Windows became corrupted when trying to install new driver as I kept getting

BSOD.

Decided to re-install fresh copy of windows. Was unable to install windows without getting errors or BSOD.

Ran the memtest86 4 times. Each time the pc froze when running test number 5.

I read in the forums about similiar BSOD issues and NVIDIA compatability problems.

I have not tried to run the memory with a single stick yet.

Do I have bad memory ? ANy recommendations ?

Thanks/Aaron

• Corsair Employee

Please try and load setup defaults with only the modules and Video card installed and then set the Dim Over voltage control to +.2 Volts and test them with http://www.memtest.org. If you still have problems, I would try testing them one at a time to isolate if it's just one weak module. But if you still have the problem with both modules I would suspect some other issue, and I would suggest testing the modules in another system if you can.

P.S. This would assume that you have the most recent bios!

Hi Ram Guy.

Defaults have already been set in bios and latest bios was loaded about 6 weeks ago but I will double check it to make sure no new updates have been released.

Thanks for your help.

Aaron

Please try and load setup defaults with only the modules and Video card installed and then set the Dim Over voltage control to +.2 Volts and test them with http://www.memtest.org. If you still have problems, I would try testing them one at a time to isolate if it's just one weak module. But if you still have the problem with both modules I would suspect some other issue, and I would suggest testing the modules in another system if you can.

P.S. This would assume that you have the most recent bios!

Hi Ram Gay .

Thanks again for your help. I am just one revision out of being current with my Bios. A new one was release Jan 6/2005. I read the info and it does not

appear to be a signicant bios release since it is just updates to new processor speeds.

I have removed all the hardware which by the way was just the sound card.

I have just the X800PRO Video card installed now.

Have down loaded the memtest86+ v1.5 and it is showing 51 errors so far on test # 4 . The bad memory locations are :

571.3mb

356.7mb

879.4mb

Then the test froze on the pc at 5minutes 39 seconds wall time.

Do I still need to test singularly the memory modules because if I have one bad module they need to be replaced in pairs - correct ?

Thanks/Aaron

UPDATE TO THE ABOVE :

I increased the DIMM voltage +.2 as you asked. Have re-run the memtest and it is running fine now for more than 55 minutes.

What does this indicate ?

Have not tried to reinstall windows yet to see if I have similar problems.

Thanks/Aaron

Please let me know!

• Corsair Employee

Please leave it set to +.2 Volts and try the sound card installed.

Minimum suggested voltage for these modules would be 2.75 Volts and the MB default is 2.5 Volts so it's still a bit under voltage but test it and see if it will run with out problems.

Archived