Corsair Community

A7v600

Starky

My motherboard specs tells me I am allowed to use 2 out of 3 slots for DDR400. So I ordered the VS1GBKIT400 (2x512) from newegg, installed it, and now I am crashing on certain games (BFV in particular). I ran the memtest and came up with no errors... I even lowered the clock speed to 333 in my bios and it still does it. Before I bought this set I had 2x512 of DDR333. I have a couple of ideas in mind about what is happening, but I would like someone's opinion. Please post your thoughts.

AMD Athlon XP 2800+ 512k Barton

FSB Not sure.. 333 I think

BIOS:

CPU Speed: [2083]

CPU Frequency Multiple: [12.5x]

CPU External Frequency: [166/33]

CPU Vcore Setting: [Auto]

Memory Frequency: [Auto]

DRAM Voltage: [Auto]

No proformance settings have been set.

Also, I just ran the memtest again with 1 stick in and the test froze with a broken up error message on Test #5 at 36%. Probably just the program's fault.

• Corsair Employee

Please try these settings with just one module installed and test them with http://www.memtest.org.

BIOS:

Memory Frequency: 1-1/100%

DRAM Voltage: 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 166MHz

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 8T

If they both pass then please install them in slots 1-3 and test them with both modules.

Hmm... the test locks up after test #5 every time I run it and I have to reboot (this is with each stick separately). When I ran it before, I ran both sticks at the same time and it when all the way through (no errors). Any suggestions? :(:

I was playing BF1942 just now and crashed same as it did all the times before, but this time I got an error message (yippie!) instead of just a blank screen. Gave me an error having to deal with dxg.sys. I suppose it was just a big coincidence that this started to happen just as I installed this memory. I don't know. I am going to put my DDR333 back in and see if I can get it to crash and then I will go from there. Thanks for you help.

Windows XP Pro SP2 (5.1, Build 2600)

AMD Athlon XP 2800+ 512k Barton Processor

ASUS A7V600

NVIDIA Geforce 4 Ti 4600 128MB (4x) (66.93 drivers)

DirectX 9.0c

1152x864 (32 bit) (85Hz)

2x512MB Corsair Value Select DDR400(PC3200) (slots 1 & 2)

80gig WD 7200rpm hdd with 8meg cache(Primary), 40gig WD 7200rpm hdd (Slave)

Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit

BIOS settings are default. Do you need to know any specific setting?

• Corsair Employee

You will need to set some of them manually, the default settings will not allow the system to run properly with the default settings because of the CPU speed.

BIOS:

Memory Frequency: 1-1/100%

DRAM Voltage: 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 166MHz

If they both pass then please install them in slots 1-3 and test them with both modules.

Those settings are default. Except that my BIOS doesn't have "Resulting Frequency" and DRAM Voltage setting has 2.75 volts (not 2.7), which is what I set it to. Also, under "Memory Frequency", only options I have is auto, 266, 333, and 400.

All right here is what happend. I ran the memtest 3 times. Once on each stick and once with both sticks in. No errors. Below are the settings I used. Also, right after I did the memtests, I played the game again and it still crashed... Knowing my luck, it is probably something really simple that I am just not seeing.

Memory Frequency: 333

DRAM Voltage: 2.75 Volts

Well... Formatting did absolutly nothing. I am at such a loss here. I've tried different graphics cards, ram, sound cards... I haven't tried a different powersupply, but I did test the voltages and all was good. I am just completely stumped.

Not at this time, if I absolutely cannot figure it out then I probably will. I have troubleshooted everything but the motherboard, and everything else checked out so... I'll troubleshoot the motherboard and see what I come up with.

Archived