Corsair Community

Random Restarts and game crashings

nighthawk51

I am having some issues that I think might be memory related. For a while my new computer would randomly memory dump and restart. I tweaked the memory settings in my bios and my system is more stable now but it still boots out of every game that I try to play. ie Half life 2 and Far Cry. The system is generally stable in windows although some of my programs crash occasionally. I have reinstalled windows two times now with complete hardware patching and windows updates. All the games were fully patched as well.

My system specs:

proc: Amd Athlon 64 3800+

mb: MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum bios 1.4 (latest)

memory: Corsair Twin XMS 3200 1gb

video: MSI NX6800 Ultra-T2D256 Geforce 6800 ultra

hd: Western Digital Raptor 74gb

power supply: Enermax whisper series 425 watt

sound: currently using built in audio, my sound blaster is having issues

I work for a computer store during the summers and as such have built a hundred plus computers. There is a small chance that I made a mistake but I am fairly confident in the build. There may be some incredibly stupid thing that I have done to cause these issues. I did come to this site to look up all of the correct memory timings but they did not solve the issue. It is also possible that the problems are not caused by the memory but whenever a game crashes it cites and error in writing to a memory sector. I am going to run memtest shortly but I doubt that the memory is actually bad because I have been using it for a while in another computer. I probably am just missing a setting somewhere.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks, Matt

Please set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts abnd then test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org to be sure one is not failing.

I ran memtest and it came up with several thousand errors almost instantly. The dimms themselves refuse to work on their own. It would appear that there is something wrong with the memory though. What should I do?

Thanks for the assistance thus far

• Corsair Employee
I am not clear on what you are trying to say! The system will not post with either module one up, but will post when both are installed? Please be more specific, because if this is the answer then you have some other problem and I would test the modules in another system. But it would really hard to get 2 bad modules from us darn near impossible.

I am sorry for the confusion, I made a fairly stupid mistake with this new mother board regarding memory location. The slots are horizontally mounted on the board instead of the normal vertical orientation. What I assumed was slot 1 was actually slot 4 so when I was testing the modules individually I was putting them into slot 4 which obviously does not work. In any case you are correct that one of the modules went bad. The other is still testing fine.

Archived