Corsair Community

Does my h80i v2 work ?

Nitnelav

Hello,

If my english is bad, forgive me : I'm french and we're very bad in foreign languages. :D:

I bought a h80i v2 a few days ago. I delided my i7 7700k because I had ~91°c while I was running a stress test (Intel Burn Test)

Now, my temps are close to ~75/80°c in the same stress test but my liquid cooler's temperature is about ~32/33°c. Is it ok ? I heard the normal temp for the liquid is ~40°c when the CPU is loading at 100%.

Thank's you for your help !

Now, my temps are close to ~75/80°c in the same stress test but my liquid cooler's temperature is about ~32/33°c. Is it ok ? I heard the normal temp for the liquid is ~40°c when the CPU is loading at 100%.

This is normal and expected. The cooling system works by transferring heat from the CPU through the cold plate and TIM, then finally into the coolant stream. The coolant stream's actual purpose is to transport the heat from the CPU and then eventually out of the system. The only time the two values will be the same is when the CPU is in an idle state with C-States on and minimal voltage.

The 40C 100% fan limit is a somewhat arbitrary number based on a standard room temperature. It takes a very specific amount of energy to raise that volume of water in the cooler by 17C, while at the same time releasing heat through the fans and fins portions. Most users will not see a rise greater than 9-12C during heavy or prolonged use. However, the trick is your baseline temperature is influenced by the room (and case) temperature. If you open all the windows on a hot Summer day and raise the room temperature to 35C, then the lowest possible coolant temperature is also 35C and that's with the power off. In that state, you would reach 40C as soon as you boot up and no amount of fan speed would be able to bring it down. Keep this in mind if you live in a warm climate or have some big watt GPU's that heat up the case. You may need to make your own fan curve that reflects your environmental temperature range. The more meaningful number is the delta or difference between your starting and load coolant temperature. If is more than that 9-12C value, then you need to take a look at your system and make sure everything is working properly.

Yes, I think so, but you haven't mentioned your CPU clock speed or voltage. If your Link shot is accurate, you are only at 1.20v full throttle? On a delid I would expect less at that voltage, although we know Kaby runs hot. It also looks like your current coolant temp (H80i v2 temp) is just marginally warmer than case ambient. I would expect is to go up 6-9C in the first 10 minutes of a stress test. What was the starting coolant temperature?

If the coolant temp is not changing when under heavy CPU load, it suggest you may not have good contact between the cold plate and the CPU. This can happen when you delid and change the package thickness.

While I'm playing The Witcher 3 during 1 good hour, the coolant's temperature is ~40°c. But, in a stress test (1 hour too), it's 33/34°c max. I think it's because of the GPU is working (82°C max !) when I'm playing, nope ?

My CPU voltage is 1.185 but it rises to 1.2 in full load. I don't know why, maybe an option in the BIOS.

You're probably right for the package thickness... what should I do ? Apply silicon on the IHS ?

Thanks you c-attack ! :)

It is normal with a H80i or other single cooler to run warmer during long gaming, particularly if it is mounted in the rear slot above the GPU. The entire case heats up and the coolant along with it. You can compare this change to a motherboard temp sensor for comparison. The 1.18-1.20 voltage overshoot is also normal. Nothing to worry about there.

However, I do think your CPU temps are too high for that voltage and a delid. At what temperature does the H80i sit when idle? This is room temp dependent too, so take note of that. Leave IBT alone until this is resolved. Try Intel XTU. It is much milder and more appropriate for trying to solve a cooler issue, particularly is there is bad contact. Run it for 10-15 minutes and see how much the H80i v2 Temp increases. Also note the core temps. XTU should produce a very smooth sine wave like core temp graph. If it is spiky, that would also suggest a contact problem.

When the CPU is idle :

CPU temps : 34°C min ; average : 36/37°c

Cooler temps : 27,6°C

GPU temps : 27°c

When the CPU is under a stress test (Intel XTU) :

CPU temps: 72°C max ; average : 60/66°c

Cooler temps : It started to 27,6°C and ascends to 31°C max (after 7-8min)

GPU temps : 28°c

http://i.imgur.com/nuMjNTb.png

Intel XTU is much soft, yeah. The RAM wasn't under the stress test. With IntelBurnTest, the CPU and the RAM are tested... that's why I get ~75/80°C with this software.

Is everything ok with my lovely h80i v2 ? D:

P.S : I delided my 7700k and I applied Noctua NT-H1... I didn't have liquid metal. I'll probably get better temps with some conductonaut, won't I ?

• 2 weeks later...

I am sorry, I lost track of this thread while finishing up a big project at that time.

Your CPU core temp to coolant temp delta is terrible! You should never be +70C over your coolant temperature. Usually at the upper limits of highly overclocked CPUs, you will still not go +40 to 45C over the coolant. +70C and delid suggests there is a definite contact issue between the plate and CPU or you have an insane voltage and 1.19v does not even come close to that definition. I am not sure what to tell you at this point, but if the temps got worse, the post delid contact isn't there. This can sometimes happen with delid since the package thickness is not the same. I am afraid you need some delid specific advice here and I have not taken a 7700K apart. I did not get any real improvements by switching to Conductonaut from my normal Kryonaut (non-metal), however I would use it on the delid. Much easier with placement and no run off/smearing.

Archived