Corsair Community

Bad 512MB400c3 kit (2 vs256mb400c3)

pcmasten

ASUS P3P800 deluxe motherboard

P4 2.8GH boxed cpu

1GB paired memory 2x-512mb = (or 4 256mb sticks)

ATI 9600XT video

120 GB SATA Seagate drive

Memorex DVD burner

ASUS 40x cd player

Continuously got hd read/write errore which trashed my 120GB sata disk. Re-loading sware gave an error of boot sector virus, though norton said no. Eventually ran memtest86 and confirmed that the corsair memory was the problem. I have 1 gb in the ASUS p3p800deluxe mb. The corsair memory was on the 512-1Gb range. I removed the corsair memory and all problems went away. I then re-installed the corsair memory in the 0-512mb slot removing the other memory. The problem re-appeared. Memtest fails this memory when in either memory slot 1 or slot 2. The other memory passes without proble.

This memory worked fine for the last 2 months, it just failed 2 days ago.I need an rma to return this memory.

Thanks

pcmasten

• Corsair Employee

Please make sure that you have the latest BIOS for your MB and load Setup/optimized default settings, and try the following BIOS settings;

VS1GBKIT400C3 or VS512MB400C3

Advanced/Jumper Free

AI over clocking: Manual

CPU Freq: 200

DRAM Clock: 400 MHz

Memory or Dim Reference voltage: 2.75 Volts

System performance: AUTO

AGP Voltage: Default *unless you have ATI (9200 or 9600) or NVIDIA (5200 or 5700) then 1.6 Volts suggested!*

Advanced/Chipset

Configure Dram timing by SPD: Disabled/User define

SDRAM CAS Latency: 3T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 8T

SDRAM Burst Length: 8

Memory Acceleration Mode: Auto

USB Legacy Support: Disabled

All other settings should be set to default settings!

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employee

Can you test the modules one at a time? It would suggest some other problem, if you are getting errors with both modules!

For the RMA if you find it's just one module then lets get the module replaced.

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

But if you get errors with both modules I would test the modules in another MB if you can.

Archived