Corsair Community

Bad Stick of Value Select

cecius

A7n8x Rev 2.0 BIOS 1007

Athlon XP Barton 2500+ (333FsB)

PNY Geforce FX 5700 Ultra

Two Corsair Value Select Modules 2.5-3-3-7

Ok so there my system.

HI there ram guy. I recently purchased a second module of the corsair value select from newegg to match the first one in my asus a7n8x motherboard. i have it set in dual channel mode. now i tested both modules in memtest, the old one works fine and the new one is having problems. memtest finds hundreds of thousands of errors in tests 2-6 so far what i noticed. in just single channel mode. ive determined the new stick is bad.

well the cpu is 333 fsb, the computer boots up with the memory set at 333 and 400 mhz, i am not able to do much for every long before the system resets itself at either speed. ive tried changing the memory timings to 2.5-5-5-8 and higher and higher, i still am getting many many many errors in memtest. any suggestions or do i need to rma this? thanks ram guy.

• Corsair Employee

please make sure that you install the memory modules on either slots 1&3 or 2&3 and also have the latest BIOS installed for your MB, load Setup/optimized default settings and try the following BIOS settings;

VS1GBKIT400 or VS512MB400

Softmenu Setup

CPU Freq: 166

DRAM Clock: 333

CPU/Memory ratio: 1:1

Memory or Dim Reference voltage: 2.7/2.75 Volts

AGP Voltage: Default *unless you have ATI (9200 or 9600) or NVIDIA (5200 or 5700) then 1.6 Volts suggested!*

Advanced/Chipset

Configure Dram timing by SPD: Disabled/User define

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 8T

All other settings should be set to default settings!

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

please make sure that you install the memory modules on either slots 1&3 or 2&3 and also have the latest BIOS installed for your MB, load Setup/optimized default settings and try the following BIOS settings;

AGP Voltage: Default *unless you have ATI (9200 or 9600) or NVIDIA (5200 or 5700) then 1.6 Volts suggested!*

Quick question: I have been reading as many ValueRAM posts as I could fine. I see you recommending two things I was unsure of

1) raising PCI voltage for these cards. I just threw a 5200 in my K7N2 board, and the default is 1.5v. What is the reasoning here?

2) I have been running my DIMMs in slots 1/2 so that the system does not attempt dual channel (which I don't want to run, and of course the VS kit is not rated for :). Can you expand on why 1/3 or 2/3 should be used?

Thanks!

- b

VS1GBKIT400 or VS512MB400

Softmenu Setup

CPU Freq: 166

DRAM Clock: 333

CPU/Memory ratio: 1:1

Memory or Dim Reference voltage: 2.7/2.75 Volts

Advanced/Chipset

Configure Dram timing by SPD: Disabled/User define

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 8T

All other settings should be set to default settings!

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

Ok I tried these settings to no avail. I am still receiving the same errors. What should i do next? thanks ram guy.

Have you tested the modules one at a time, and see if one of the memory modules are failing? If not please do so, this will eliminate and can confirm if the problem is coming from the memory modules!

Yes I tested them both indivitually. One stick works fine the other fails as i stated before.

Archived