Corsair Community

2x XMS3 6GB installation not working

Jas100

I am running XMS3 6GB (3 sticks of 2GB) on a Gigabyte X58A-UD3R i7 930

I bought another 3 sticks of the exact same RAM and installed them in the 3 empty slots to make 12GB.

CMX6GX3M3A1600C9

The system fails to boot, turns on but it just has a blank screen.

Removed the 3 new sticks and everything is running fine.

Did I miss something, or are the new sticks faulty?

Thanks,

Jas

Warning for all who choose to purchase Corsair products:

"We do not guarantee our products to be compatible with themselves or work together unless they are sold in the same packet".

Don't think that you will receive any kind of support if you would like to upgrade your product. You will get fobbed off if you write a ticket.

:!:

You broke one of the basic rules of memory selection -- don't mix memory kits. There is little chance your old kit was made from the same batch of semiconductor material as the one you just bought. Sometimes these things work out or can be tweaked into compliance, but it is not something for the average user. Tech support could have phrased it a less banal way, but what you needed to do was buy a 3 x 4GB kit of new DDR3 if you wanted 12GB. then discard the old set.

• Corsair Employee
You broke one of the basic rules of memory selection -- don't mix memory kits. There is little chance your old kit was made from the same batch of semiconductor material as the one you just bought. Sometimes these things work out or can be tweaked into compliance, but it is not something for the average user. Tech support could have phrased it a less banal way, but what you needed to do was buy a 3 x 4GB kit of new DDR3 if you wanted 12GB. then discard the old set.

Yep, checked into the ticket and the answer above wasn't what was given. It was indeed said in a better way.

At least there is an answer in your answer. Thankyou for taking more time and care in your answer than the people on the payroll.

The response was just succinct, but it was exactly what needed to be said. Sorry if you're not satisfied with it.

Archived