Corsair Community

DDR4 XMP profile makes the MOBO go Haywire

zanat0s

Hi,

I am using 16GB (2X8) Corsair Desktop RAM Vengeance LPX 16GB Kit 3200MHz DDR4 .

My Gigabyte X99 5P Gaming Mobo runs the Memories at 2100Mhz. I can activate the XMP profile but the **** hits the fan. What do I mean?

At idle at 2100Mhz the Temp of the Processor is around celcius 40 degrees. When XMP activates the temperature rises to 56 degrees.

Not only that but the system becomes unstable. I do not know if this is normal or if it is the MOBO's fault.

Your motherboard is responsible for all those the settings. The XMP profile is nothing more than a series of memory timings saved to the module. Be careful, some motherboards do more than load the memory setting when you enable XMP. They may also change the BCLK, various voltages including system agent, and whatever other default values the board maker thinks will give it the best chance to make all memory modules stable at that frequency. Like most AUTO settings, they can be overkill. However, sometimes the automatic adjustment of the values do not work as expected. It may change the base clock, but not the multiplier or you may not realize one value has changed and improperly adjust another.

The XMP load option is a convenience, but it is not required and all my experiences on DDR4 suggest you are better off taking 60 seconds to set the 4 primary timings and DRAM voltage manually. Reset it back the way it was and then try manually entering the 4 primary timings.

A high system agent voltage can increase temps considerably, however you can try to tweak it manually for stability and improved temps over the usually ridiculous AUTO volts.

Also just manually adjusting the four primary timings might not be enough, i had several boards that reliably failed to train secondary timings above certain memory ratios. If that is the case for you as well, you might have to also copy those from the XMP.

Archived