Corsair Community

H60 water cooling on Skylake 6700K

BigRat

Hello

Recently after Corsair "great" CX 650 blow my workstation AGAIN..., and AGAIN after a month ending a warranty period, I have to moved to Skylake 6700K, with Asus z170 pro mob. ( old mob done, HDD done, SSD fine, CPU - well can"t tell, coz 1366 slot isn't popular anymore among my friends, DDR3 saved )

But let me focus on the subject.

I have H60 water cooling system. After installing it properly some question accrued, coz in stress mode (prime 95), sometimes temps go v. high ( like 85-90 degrees - celsius ofc, (I am from Europe). I've tried to increase the pump higher - The pump 4 pin slot on MB, - but It seems that U cannot go higher that 2000 - 2200 rounds / min.

Is it true?

Or it's just constant speed around 2100?

What other pump U seggest I shoud buy insted ths one.

Or the old one will be sufficient?

Best regards... etc... ect...

- btw... Super Extra cuss. support in exchanging the H60 4-5 years ago "buzzing" version!

You can't run the pump any faster than ~2000 rpm and its speed will not be the limiting factor in your overclocking/cooling. Pump speed usually is not critical on AIO coolers.

One thing to be aware of coming from X58/1366 is how the new chips react to Prime95. They gobble up volts beyond the BIOS specifications. This is particularly true with Skylake on adaptive voltages (including AUTO). Before you start changing hardware, run a different stress test (free AIDA64, OCCT, Intel XTU). These aren't as voltage hungry. Also, setting a specific voltage for testing may be extremely beneficial. Once you have determined it is stable, then you can convert it back to an adaptive format for every day use.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=124458

Oww.. yes, thats my old post about CX 600...

Well.. The story ends like this: Few days later ( after my post from link above), the power supply just broke ( dead, cold, not answering... ect : ), so.. I've bought a new CX 600. He was working fine till a two weeks ago... , and again.. a fail. No previous power symptoms, no smoke, no fire, just loud Bzzzzp... :evil:

After this incident, I tried to put another power supply (Tagan 500) from my another PC to check whats wrong, what parts are working etc. , but I saw only some strange leds blinking on motherboard... and bah... my Tagan 500 broke too :eek:

So now I have new power supply s ( 2), and a bunch of DDR3 tripple channel memory ( 3x 4 GB Dominator 1600, 6 x 4 GB Vengeance 1600 ),

old case, and old but still great (?) H-60 cooler and, all new parts..

On standard bench test , I can't go higher than stock 4000 MHz on my i7 6700K, coz the temps are v. high... so the idea to OC this proc has faiiled ...:(:

(On 4200, I've got 75 C !)

(On 4600, i've got 99 C !)

Seems that I have to change this cooler.

Any advices? suggestions?

Does anyone wants to buy DDR3 tripple chanell 12 GB/24 GB set? :D: (joking)

Something's not right... the H60 (nor any other cooler) should be at 75-99C in that range.

What is your test program? Be aware Skylake chips will gobble extra voltage when tested with stress programs while using adaptive (including AUTO) voltage. A 24C detlta between those two setting usually indicates a voltage issue.

@ C-attack

I use Intell XTU Benchmark witch came with Asus AI Sute pack.

I makes short bench tets, to set all diff. parameters of mobo.

All voltages seems to be fine...

As I understood, temps with H-60 should be much lower, or just lower?

Mby just the pump head isn't pressed enough to CPU? - will check it asap.

@ C-attack

I use Intell XTU Benchmark witch came with Asus AI Sute pack.

I makes short bench tets, to set all diff. parameters of mobo.

All voltages seems to be fine...

As I understood, temps with H-60 should be much lower, or just lower?

Mby just the pump head isn't pressed enough to CPU? - will check it asap.

Short bench tests are good for diagnosing problems. Once you start getting into long duration, too many other factors become involved. This is also why I am a little puzzled. On a short test, the CPU temperature is mostly determined by the transition of heat from the lid through the cold plate and water, and of course the voltage. A H110 has the same cold plate material as H60. So in a short 1-5 minute test, things like water volume and fans play less of a role. One possibility is the TIM has lost its effectiveness. How long has it been on there? If it's recent, let's look at other things first before cleaning and re-applying.

How is your idle temperature? Is it relatively steady? Or very erratic?

Intel XTU is not one to draw a lot of extra voltage, but you can compare by temporarily setting a fixed voltage and re-running the test for just a few minutes. This may help remove voltage as a possible factor.

Hello

Well I've read all available posts here, searched the web for few days and opened my magic "old parts" box.

Atm I just uninstall H60, the pump will go to may 2nd workstation.

Now I am using my old Scythe Yashya ( witch goes down with temp. -15, -10 according to H-60), but soon I def. will buy a new corsair cooling, coz I bougt thes CPU for OC, and with OC, Yasha fails.

Tnx for all advices.

Here goes a small comparison.

_____H-60__________________ _Scythe Yasya_

(ilde) 30-35______________________ 23- 27

(full) up to 95 (4000 MHz) __higher: 80 - long time render 3d MAX

Seems the the H-60 just ... worn off ( sry cant translat it prop.)...

But when I was buying it, all test were better that Scythe :)

The world is weird :)

Tnx for forum help, ready to lock. :biggrin:

• 3 months later...

and... afer all... this damn hot intel 7600 is under control...

I've add NXTZ Kraken x61... (a bit noisy) in renderings (3dMAX), but my proc goes from 4200 to 4800 in all cores. The funny thing : nXTZ sets now just in the middle in my case. Stragne.. but my case its not a custom made, so I can handle it.. Anyway. Peeps, tnx for support. The best supp is juts Corrsair. :laughing:

Archived