Corsair Community

H100i V2 Pump Question

bryanmania

i just bought a Corsair H100i V2, and in the latest Corsair Link there are 2 profiles for Pump speed.

Quiet and Performance

-Quiet mode sets the pump speed to 1800 RPM

-Performance mode sets the pump speed to 2800 RPM

is it safe to use Quiet mode all the time? This concern comes from posts here in corsair forums that lowering pump speed below the max pump speed might shorten its life.

Any thoughts guys? Thank you in advance :)

Lowering the pump voltage (speed) is only damaging to DC motors that were designed to run at 12V all the time. Your pump on the H100i V2 uses PWM to change it's speed and will receive 12V continuously, regardless of which speed you use. You will not shorten it's lifespan. In theory, a pump running at 1800 rpm lasts longer than a pump running at 2800 rpm, although I wouldn't worry about the difference. It's expected you will run the speed at the higher setting the pump is meant to last for the duration.

You can use either mode. You may not see much improvement in terms of CPU temperature. A short length system doesn't always benefit from a higher flow rate since the time from contact plate to radiator exchange and back is so fast. In theory, you might be able to run the fans a little bit lower for the same cooling effect with a higher pump speed, but we are talking about small margins. The higher pump speed may offer better cooling on very long, sustained CPU loads.

Lowering the pump voltage (speed) is only damaging to DC motors that were designed to run at 12V all the time. Your pump on the H100i V2 uses PWM to change it's speed and will receive 12V continuously, regardless of which speed you use. You will not shorten it's lifespan. In theory, a pump running at 1800 rpm lasts longer than a pump running at 2800 rpm, although I wouldn't worry about the difference. It's expected you will run the speed at the higher setting the pump is meant to last for the duration.

You can use either mode. You may not see much improvement in terms of CPU temperature. A short length system doesn't always benefit from a higher flow rate since the time from contact plate to radiator exchange and back is so fast. In theory, you might be able to run the fans a little bit lower for the same cooling effect with a higher pump speed, but we are talking about small margins. The higher pump speed may offer better cooling on very long, sustained CPU loads.

Awesome! thanks for the reply :)

i would choose to set it at 1800 rpm in the meantime. During benchmarking I cant see the advantage of the 2800 RPM. the temps are almost the same (i set the max fan speed of the 2 fans only at 1600RPM, very irritating if i add any more speed to the fans)

Turning the pump speed up will literally drop your temps a max of about 2-3°C... and that's if the processor is overclocked a lot

Most of the time you'll probably want to run it in quiet mode... but if you want your processor a couple degrees cooler without extra fan noise then performance mode is the way to go

I notice a big noise difference between quiet and performance mode... but that's because my computer is quiet overall... I even have the fans turned lower than the lowest speed you can set (by turning the speed down on the Motherboard combined with Corsair Link) pump runs about 52°C but hey... at least it's quiet, lol

4.4ghz 1.2 volts running folding@home the processor is about 85°C... eh, might turn the clock speed down a clock or two... I have it optimized for games right now which usually don't use more than 2 cores... but if the processor usage goes to 100% then it does get a little warm

An i7 can take about the same amount of heat as a video card, but still... I should probably turn the speed 100mhz down... it would still be 4.3ghz and would probably be almost 5°C cooler which is huge on the processor's life span

If I turn the fans up my cpu temps drop 25°C but ugh... the fans make a high pitched noise

I currently have the max fan speed set in the fan profile to 30%... I figured out as long as I don't go above that and keep the speed set to level 2 out of level 4 on my motherboard, then there's no high pitched noise :D

Archived