Corsair Community

PSU buzzing sound

Nick787

UPDATE: Plugged my UPS into the wall and it's making a buzz noise. Not severely loud but enough to not put my ear to it to hear it. I can pretty much sit next to the back of it and hear it clearly sitting straight up. Don't even have to bend down to the back to hear it. So I left it unplugged overnight. Plugged it in this morning and it didn't buzz for an hour or two and then started buzzing. Its like my PSU and ups is fine until its been plugged in for a bit. I plugged my computer into it and got it all hooked up didn't buzz for awhile. Came back and it was buzzing. My computer hasn't been turned on yet which is frustrating because I don't understand why its buzzing. I called our electric company and they sent someone out to check the meter to make sure we are getting the correct voltage to the house and the guy tells me that it has to be something else because we are getting VERY good voltage to the house is what the guy said. I guess I am going to take it to our other house we just moved from because we haven't put it up for sale yet and test it there. If it doesn't buzz at all then obviously its something here wiring wise. If it does buzz then I don't know what to say unless there has been some sort of electrical damage to my PSU and ups that would cause them to buzz at the other house. I've spent all week looking up things and I realize electronics buzz if you put your ear up close to the back but if I can sit up straight and not have to lean over to here it I feel like there's some sort of issue. Can EMF interfere with electronics and make them buzz louder than they should? I don't even really know how to explain the sound the only thing I can think of is its the electrical hum you hear some components make when plugged to the wall but at a much higher frequency. I am afraid to even run my computer or this 200$ Pure sinewave UPS I just purchased.

UPDATE: So I had an electrician come out today and check and he didn't find anything. He said he's never come across something like this and was just as confused as I am. So I'm thinking that we just have really bad line noise here. The reason I say that is because the buzzing in my PSU changed in frequency when I used my UPS so both buzz at the same low frequency they actually sound identical. So is there anything that I can do to combat line noise or emf/emi from this cell tower? I heard clippable ferrite rings? I'm just willing to try anything at this point.

UPDATE: I received an hx850i to give it one more RMA try and the buzzing is still there. I noticed when my UPS goes on battery power both the UPS and the PSU stop buzzing completely and then come back as soon as it's back to the wall outlet. I tested my PSU and it was completely unplugged still buzzing. I even replaced the wall Recepticle with a new one to see if maybe that was the issue and it still buzzes. I've tried my PSU just to the wall in multiple rooms and it still buzzes. No faulty outlet light on my UPS on. Any thoughts Jonny? I really appreciate what you've done so far to help me. I'm not sure if this is something I should be concerned about or what now. If it's just noise I'm fine but I want to make sure it's not anything harmful but I'm not sure what else I can do to really find what it could be.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employee
I noticed when my UPS goes on battery power both the UPS and the PSU stop buzzing completely and then come back as soon as it's back to the wall outlet.

This.

It's line noise. I know you're looking for more answers, but doing things like checking voltages, ground, replacing wall sockets, etc. aren't going to address this.

I don't think ferrite cores will help.

What kind of UPS did you end up with? Does it have buck and boost AVR?

http://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP1350PFCLCD-Sinewave-Compatible-Mini-Tower/dp/B00429N19M

That's the one I bought. I mean is there anything that can be done to help it at this point? Its not loud that I can hear it over my computer but I haven't ran my computer at all really in the past month so I don't really know if its going to become louder or stay the same frequency. Also will something like this harm my computer?

From what I can tell its there all day but much quieter and gets much louder around 6pm which is when it gets dark. I've turned all the breakers other breakers off to see if it was something causing it and it continues to buzz. So not sure but I might look into filters or something to figure out maybe what can help it. I don't think my UPS and PSU buzzing is a coincidence. Especially since I had an electrician check our breaker box for any loose connections and the house ground. Other stuff buzz in the house too at night. Even our tvs and my PS4 does. Even the meter outside does. I don't know how good line filters are or line conditioners. I know for a fact if I plug in my PSU or ups in after 6pm they will buzz.

Archived