Corsair Community

PSU buzzing sound

Nick787

Basically we just moved into a nice new house and I got my computer going and my PSU started making a very loud static sound. Like I could hear it a couple steps away from my computer. So I decided to make sure it was the PSU and disconnected it completely and plugged it into the wall and it had a faint buzzing sound. So I RMAd it and they sent me a newer model. From an Hx750 to an Hx750i. Got it all hooked up and didn't have an issue running it. Turned it off and unplugged it to switch some cables out and came back hours later. Plugged it in and it's now making a slight buzzing sound when it's off. So I moved it to another room in the house. It sounds like it's much dimmer but if you put your ear up to it you can still hear buzzing. Could it be the house electric or something? Or did my surge protector cause damage? Idk what to think anymore. Hopefully someone can help me. I literally got this today haven't even used it maybe 2 hours.

Posted a video of it. My phone was right on the back of my PSU where it plugs in. My computer is also turned off.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=9wQYiLr6...

UPDATE: After it being unplugged all night there is no buzzing sound when I have it plugged in but my computer turned off. It sounds like after running it it might be coming back but I think I'll have to run it for a bit to actually see. Turned it back off after 5 to 10mins of it being on and still no buzzing.

After a few hours of use the buzz is back. Even when the PC is shut off and the PSU is just plugged into the wall. I understand there is still an electric current running to the PSU even when the PC is off.

• Corsair Employee
Sounds like something is wrong with the power in that house. Doubt the power strip had anything to do with the PSU making the noise (power strips tend to either work or they don't). Do you not have a UPS to plug the PC into?

No I don't know anyone who has one. I was thinking about going to purchase one. How will I know if it's the PSU or house wiring? Also could you tell me a good brand or model I should get? I don't really want to buy something that's junk.

• Corsair Employee

I actually have a UPS on every set of electronics in the house. :D: One at the PC station. One in the entertainment center and one in the bedroom. So forgive me if I'm surprised you don't have any. :D:

So, while on battery power, the PSU may or may not make a different sound. If the sound changes, it could just be the PFC circuit, but often when PSUs run off of battery power, PSU's can make a noise. What you want to see is if the SAME NOISE happens whether the PSU is running off the mains or the UPS.

My favorite brand of power protection (either UPS or power strip) is Tripp-Lite. Hands down. Second and third are APC and CyberPower.

What type of wattage should I be looking for and is true and pure sine wave the same thing? Also can my hx750i support pure sine? If it can be pure sine wave that's what I want to purchase and I would like it to regulate voltage too.

• Corsair Employee

No. True and pure sine wave is MUCH better than simulated sine wave. Pretty sure true and pure are the same.

As for wattage: Just whatever your current load is. Link should be able to tell you what your load is. Not sure if you plan to plug other things into battery power, though. Like monitor. But monitor load is fairly static and the wattage should be on the monitor's power brick or the label on the monitor itself.

I think last time I had my computer plugged in I was using like maybe 300 watts I can't remember. I'm kind of scared to turn it on until I figure out why it's doing this. So let's say it continues to crackle or whatever after I plug it into a top notch UPS then what? Also idk if you mentioned if my PSU supported something like Pure Sine wave

So static crackling shouldn't be a problem? I'm just worried my computer is going to explode. The fact that it happens when it's off too just not as loud concerns me. I mean this is my second unit doing this I just won't feel like it's a coincidence after a 3rd one.

• Corsair Employee

So you've had two units do this exact same thing? Sorry. In your OP, you said you had an HX750 and then an HX750i was sent as a replacement, but I wasn't 100% clear as to why you RMA'd the HX750 in the first place.

These two PSUs are COMPLETELY different internally. So if they both do the exact same thing, then I would definitely say there's some outside variable causing this behavior.

Add to that the fact that the original PSU didn't do this until after you moved....

Exactly. The difference was the volume of the noise the new one was lower and I had to get to the back of my computer. My old one I just had to walk in the room and I could hear it. All after I moved. I'm almost positive they both were the same static noise.

• Corsair Employee

What does your receptacle tester test for? polarization or also proper ground?

Voltage shouldn't matter as it's a full range PSU.

There could also be excessive noise on the line, which a receptacle tester doesn't test for. You would need an oscilloscope for that.

• Corsair Employee

Good question. Don't know.

AVR will maintain a constant AC voltage while on AC power through "buck and boost", but input voltage isn't your issue. That said, buck and boost is obtained by running power through a large transformer. This transformer could essentially filter out any AC noise.

Well I tested the voltage an nothing looks weird everything came up 120 so the sockets look good. We just moved near a tower whether it's radio or electric do you think that could be it? It's almost in our backyard. The one right in our backyard is cellphone tower I think.

Archived