Corsair Community

H100i GTX stock fan replacement with SP120 LED

me9atr0n

I was looking for ways to make my system quieter, and also look nicer, and I do love LED fans. So I watched this video of a Corsair guy with the same exact case as me, and he has an amazing system, full of LED fans.

[ame]

[/ame]

So I replaced my stock fans with SP120 LED fans, and now I've discovered that Corsair link doesn't control them, and they always spin at 100% around 1600rpm. I guess I should have done more research, because these aren't PWM fans, and I guess they can't be controlled? Why didn't the guy in the video say anything about this?

So what are my options here? Any way to control these with my current setup? Or should I return them and get something else?

I suppose I should mention that my motherboard is an Asus Z97-PRO. I have 2 front fans, 1 rear fan, and the H100i GTX. Motherboard has 4 CHA fans, CPU_FAN, and CPU_OPT.

What if I plug the H100i GTX straight to the power supply with something like this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001B9Y6W2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00 and then plug the two radiator fans into CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT, using Asus Q-Fan to control them. Would that work?

I suppose I should mention that my motherboard is an Asus Z97-PRO. I have 2 front fans, 1 rear fan, and the H100i GTX. Motherboard has 4 CHA fans, CPU_FAN, and CPU_OPT.

What if I plug the H100i GTX straight to the power supply with something like this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001B9Y6W2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00 and then plug the two radiator fans into CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT, using Asus Q-Fan to control them. Would that work?

It'll work but there is something you should bear in mind regarding most, if not all, Asus MBs and using CPU fan headers in DC Mode. While you are able to set idle duty cycle as low as 20% in PWM Mode, you may not be able to go below 60% duty cycle in DC Mode. As a result the idle RPM for fans operated in DC Mode may be higher than what you would like in terms of fan noise.

Chassis fan headers in DC Mode do not have this limitation.

Archived