Corsair Community

AX860i fan spins up and down

AlphaBravo

Well as of at least the last update before this one, that wasn't the case. If you set it to quiet it would just do the same thing as if set to default. I'm trying it with the latest Link software now but since it sets the fan to 0, I doubt it will work. I'm pretty sure the temps will still hit in the low 40 range and the fans will spin up erratically because it's built into the hardware. They made a mistake on the AXi's by controlling the fan by wattage instead of temp and the fan spinning up is caused by the PSU checking the temp "fail safe"... seeing that it is over 40 and the fan isn't spinning so the PSU thinks something is wrong and spins the fan up to full speed but then it realizes its not overheating and shuts the fan back off again (or at least this is what I have determined by the way the PSU functions).

While typing this my PSU has gained 2 degrees and is at 32C ... it wont be long before it hits the 40ish mark ... I will add to my post when that happens and let you know the result.

I'm at work now and I cannot check but I will double check this evening :D

I don't remember this odd behaviour in past, it seems that my AX860i started to do this since the last time I started Corsair Link and this make me think that I touched something on the software that made my PSU act in this way.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm at work now and I cannot check but I will double check this evening :D

I don't remember this odd behaviour in past, it seems that my AX860i started to do this since the last time I started Corsair Link and this make me think that I touched something on the software that made my PSU act in this way.

You must have been lucky or you have recently changed hardware and your system is drawing a bit less or more power than it used too. This issue only occurs when you are not drawing much power but enough to warm up the PSU. If you are only drawing 100 watts then the PSU probably wouldn't hit the 40ish degree mark so it would stay silent. If you are drawing 150 to 300 watts then the PSU will warm up to that 40ish mark and the fan will spin erratically. If you are drawing 300+ watts then the fan will spin up to about 300rpm and will spin up according to your wattage going higher the more watts you draw.

There is a small window where this issue occurs ... you may have been close to that window and something changed the Link software is probably coincidental. You may have updated drivers that were more efficient and you system is drawing slightly less power. I noticed that with the latest AMD video drivers for my 390X. It seems to be using a bit less power since the latest driver. It may be the opposite .. you may have installed or updated a program that is using the CPU more in the background so you are drawing more power than you used too and that put you in the window. I doubt it was anything you changed in the link software.

I have been dealing with this issue for about a year now and have had issues with Link versions starting with 2.7 all the way up to this last one. The last one seems to at least solve my issues I was having with the fan not keeping the 40% setting when it came out of sleep .. it would go back to 0 rpm and end up with the erratic fan issue. As I said at least the latest version seems to keep the 40% set properly when I wake from sleep (most of the times)

Well, my PSU hit 41-41.5 degrees and the fan started spinning erratically while in the Silent profile. I guess at least for me it still doesn't work properly. I am stuck with making a profile with a fixed 40%. I have the same situation. I have 7 noctua fans in my system and it is pretty much silent under light to medium use except for the PSU fan going nutz occasionally. At least with my setup, when I set the PSU fan to fixed 40%, it is still very quiet and where I sit compared to where the computer is, I don't hear the fan at all when it is set to 40%

Remember guys you can use SIV64 to set fan speed below 40%, it is a software limit, not hardware.

Not everyone can .. if you just have the AX760i or AX860i, SIV will not work.

Not everyone using an AXi PSU also has a Corsair AIO cooler or has bought extra equipment such as the commander.

SIV will not work with the dongle that comes with the AX760i/AX860i

Not everyone can .. if you just have the AX760i or AX860i, SIV will not work.

Not everyone using an AXi PSU also has a Corsair AIO cooler or has bought extra equipment such as the commander.

SIV will not work with the dongle that comes with the AX760i/AX860i

Yes you're right, forgot that

It's time for a PSU change.

Fan is terribly noisy and if spin continuously up and down every ten seconds.

Corsair can you tell me how can you do that please?

It never stops. It continue that way since hours and I'm only webserfing with an average power of 110w.

I cannot understand how corsair could sell psus like this.

Link says that the power out is 110%, PC in idle, psu temp of 39.5°c,

fans spins every ten seconds at a big speed creating a big noise.

this psu ruined completely my silent setup.

I would like to have an answer from an asus rep please.

It's time for a PSU change.

Fan is terribly noisy and if spin continuously up and down every ten seconds.

Corsair can you tell me how can you do that please?

It never stops. It continue that way since hours and I'm only webserfing with an average power of 110w.

I'm not really sure how accurate that "110 watts" is... http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=157041 regardless, it shouldn't be doing it that much until at least about 300 watts of load

Also, my fan seems to make a click noise exactly every 12 seconds when in default mode... I looked inside and the fan turns on for like 1/10 of a second and then stops.. which makes the fan "jitter" and that makes a very annoying "click"

I opened a ticket and Corsair said the only way to fix this issue was to RMA it *sigh* still haven't decided if I want to or not... the fan is very noisy and annoying at 40% but I've already had to RMA 2 H80i and I just really don't want to have to RMA this too... if I do I'm going to request a pre-paid shipping label, because shipping these products back to Corsair is starting to add up... shipping is not cheap

I'm not really sure how accurate that "110 watts" is... http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=157041 regardless, it shouldn't be doing it that much until at least about 300 watts of load

Also, my fan seems to make a click noise exactly every 12 seconds when in default mode... I looked inside and the fan turns on for like 1/10 of a second and then stops.. which makes the fan "jitter" and that makes a very annoying "click"

I opened a ticket and Corsair said the only way to fix this issue was to RMA it *sigh* still haven't decided if I want to or not... the fan is very noisy and annoying at 40% but I've already had to RMA 2 H80i and I just really don't want to have to RMA this too... if I do I'm going to request a pre-paid shipping label, because shipping these products back to Corsair is starting to add up... shipping is not cheap

Same problem here, I have just rmaed 1 H80 and 2 H80i GT.

I'm quite bored of doing rma.

My PSU became terrible, I can't live with it, it's really too noisy, the fan spin up at the maximum speed every ten seconds.

It's not doable.

Should I rma it? Will I solve the problem if I rma it?

Should I rma it? Will I solve the problem if I rma it?

This is a design flaw .. I too have been accepted by Corsair for an RMA .. another in this post got an RMA and had the same issue with the replacement. This is a problem with the hardware itself and was verified by JonnyGuru. There is no way to resolve this problem. The only work around is to set the fan to a fixed 40%. This will keep the fan from spinning erratically.

You are stuck with the fan being loud at 40% or if you have a h80i .. i believe you have a commander or mini commander so you should be able to use SIV to set the fan to lower than 40% .. If you just have the dongle that came with the PSU though .. SIV won't work with that dongle.

If you RMA it ... you will be even more disappointed and possibly very angry to find that your replacement does the same thing. I wouldn't waste the time to RMA it. If it is too annoying I would just replace it with a good quality one. Depending on the person doing the RMA and the length of time you have owned the PSU ... there may be a posibility of them to RMA and replace it with a different model .. the newer models do not have this issue so if you can get them to RMA it for an HXi instead of another AXi then you would probably be better off. I was offered this but because of the unique situation I am in, that solution wasn't a viable one.

I'm in the same situation but at least for me, 40% on the fan, I cant even hear. My computer isn't right next to me on a desk

This is a design flaw .. I too have been accepted by Corsair for an RMA .. another in this post got an RMA and had the same issue with the replacement. This is a problem with the hardware itself and was verified by JonnyGuru. There is no way to resolve this problem. The only work around is to set the fan to a fixed 40%. This will keep the fan from spinning erratically.

You are stuck with the fan being loud at 40% or if you have a h80i .. i believe you have a commander or mini commander so you should be able to use SIV to set the fan to lower than 40% .. If you just have the dongle that came with the PSU though .. SIV won't work with that dongle.

If you RMA it ... you will be even more disappointed and possibly very angry to find that your replacement does the same thing. I wouldn't waste the time to RMA it. If it is too annoying I would just replace it with a good quality one. Depending on the person doing the RMA and the length of time you have owned the PSU ... there may be a posibility of them to RMA and replace it with a different model .. the newer models do not have this issue so if you can get them to RMA it for an HXi instead of another AXi then you would probably be better off. I was offered this but because of the unique situation I am in, that solution wasn't a viable one.

I'm in the same situation but at least for me, 40% on the fan, I cant even hear. My computer isn't right next to me on a desk

Well, I know mine at least is a hardware issue... Because it only started doing this about a month ago and I've had the psu for almost 2 years

And the fan is very noisy at 40%... Even 15 feet away and with the computer on the floor I can hear it pretty clearly... And when I'm using it the computer is only like 5 feet away...

I'd have to be about 25 feet away from the computer for it to even start to become inaudible... And that's pretty much from one side of the room to the other and it's a big room...

It's not really loud it's just... Annoying

Ughhhh it's hurting my ears right now and I'm about 15 feet away from the computer.... I'm typing this post on my phone right now

I'd just try to get an HXi or something like that as a replacement, that one is really quiet and doesn't suffer from this issue

The only thing about the HXi that looks like a significant downgrade is that it doesn't have DSP, but not like would make a big difference... I'm sure the voltage is still plenty stable on the HXi

Can't be nearly as bad as my CX500.. it was 12.3 at idle and 11.7 with about 300 watts of load

Not sure how accurate the readings were though

Plus... I'd be much more likely to damage my 7970 by allowing it to consume 460 watts (it doesn't throttle when running stress tests for some reason) and getting the VRM temp up to 130+... Well, Corsair Link reports PCIe#1 (my video card) at 38 amps (460 watts) and HWmonitor reports 410 watts going into my video card

Yeah......... one of the fans on my video card doesn't run unless the fan speed is 80% or higher so if I set my video card voltage to 1.3 and get the video card up to about 95°C then the VRM temp would eventually get to about 145-150 or maybe higher (of course the VRM would blow up right at about 150 probably)... it got up to 133 and was still going up quick, so I stopped the stress test

• 1 month later...

I had a random fan spin up sound coming from my rig when a quiet fan profile was used. I thought I had traced it to a bad radiator fan that didn't like the low rpms, and replaced it.

Unfortunately, the spin up sound remained. Sure enough, I traced it to my AX860i a few minutes ago.

Found this thread as an exact match for my symptoms.

Looks like no fix aside from forcing fan use which is counter to the product goals.

Does this occur with the 1200i? I don't need the extra juice, but it would be great to avoid the irritation.

I had a random fan spin up sound coming from my rig when a quiet fan profile was used. I thought I had traced it to a bad radiator fan that didn't like the low rpms, and replaced it.

Unfortunately, the spin up sound remained. Sure enough, I traced it to my AX860i a few minutes ago.

Looks like no fix aside from forcing fan use which is counter to the product goals.

Does this occur with the 1200i? I don't need the extra juice, but it would be great to avoid the irritation.

do you really want to spend extra money for a product with this "quality assurance"?

I believe this is an issue with all the AXi series and the higher juice would most likely cause the issue even more since you would be drawing a small amount of power heating up the PSU and never reaching the power draw that is needed to spin up the fan properly due to the fact that it is controlled by wattage not temp. So you would still hit that magical 40ish degree mark and the fan will spin up erratically. Basically I have decided to just live with it and use it at 40% fixed speed ... though I did have to create a custom task to shut down and restart Corsair Link when my computer wakes from sleep mode because the software still doesn't do that properly and will set it back to the default 0 rpm until you open the main window of the program .. or in my case close it and launch it again (done by that custom task)

Here's the thing. While the digital consistency is a big reason I chose this PSU, I also liked the idea of silent (or near silent) use for basic tasks. This may not be a factor for some users, but it is for me. It is also a selling feature of competing brands. (Although I realize competing brands are probably using the same 1 or 2 vendors to build PSUs, so perhaps the problem is more widespread.) However, to hear that nothing can be done is particularly disappointing, and a bit surprising from Corsair.

On a practical note though, I suppose I was hoping to avoid running additional software, just to tell my power supply fan to "spin more".

(Not to mention that the blinking Link cable/connector seems a bit odd IMO, and unnecessarily bulky if you're trying to manage cabling and/or match a non red/green color scheme in your build. Couldn't it just be a regular, thin cable to the mobo header?)

It's a shame, because it seems as though the fan itself is relatively quiet - it's just the split-second spin up, and the frequent repetition of it that gets on my nerves. If it spun up, and stayed running until the temperature dropped decently below the threshold (so as to avoid the constant on/off) there's a good chance this whole forum topic doesn't exist.

On a practical note though, I suppose I was hoping to avoid running additional software, just to tell my power supply fan to "spin more".

What I have done is installed HWiNFO which is capable of monitoring the PSU... (though it is a bit flaky still and sometimes doesn't get "all" the readings) and as I mentioned I set up a custom task to close the program and then launch it again so it will set my fan to the 40% properly... then I added another custom task that waits 30 seconds then closes link software. Once the fan is set you can close the software and it will stay set (until your computer goes into sleep mode)

If you don't use sleep mode and you shut your computer down and reboot it every time you turn it on .. you can go into the software ... tell it not to start with windows .. then create two tasks one that launches Link at user login and another one that closes Link and just make the close one have a 30 second delay. This way you will be able to start your computer .. it will launch the software... set the fan ... then close the software.

If you wanted to do something like this .. opening the software with the task is easy .. to make the close task the "program to be launched" would be:

C:\Windows\System32\taskkill.exe /IM CorsairLink4.exe /F

I found the only problem with this is it will leave the icon in the tray until you mouse over it. I wrote a small program to close it and remove that icon but not sure if I should post it here.

What I have done is installed HWiNFO which is capable of monitoring the PSU... (though it is a bit flaky still and sometimes doesn't get "all" the readings) and as I mentioned I set up a custom task to close the program and then launch it again so it will set my fan to the 40% properly... then I added another custom task that waits 30 seconds then closes link software. Once the fan is set you can close the software and it will stay set (until your computer goes into sleep mode)

If you don't use sleep mode and you shut your computer down and reboot it every time you turn it on .. you can go into the software ... tell it not to start with windows .. then create two tasks one that launches Link at user login and another one that closes Link and just make the close one have a 30 second delay. This way you will be able to start your computer .. it will launch the software... set the fan ... then close the software.

If you wanted to do something like this .. opening the software with the task is easy .. to make the close task the "program to be launched" would be:

C:\Windows\System32\taskkill.exe /IM CorsairLink4.exe /F

I found the only problem with this is it will leave the icon in the tray until you mouse over it. I wrote a small program to close it and remove that icon but not sure if I should post it here.

should we really do all those things on a such premium digital PSU? :roll:

• 2 weeks later...

I had an 850AX which died and did rma - this didn't have any fan issues

I was sent an AX860i as a replacement and this does the same when playing games the fan spins up really loud and stops and continues. This is really annoying... I don't want to install extra software on my PC....

Cant there be some sort of firmware fix to have a more gradual spinup of fan?

well its quite annoying that I had a quiet system and now have to put up with this VERY ANNOYING fan speeding up and stopping.....

If it can be done at factory then cant they do this?????

I was really happy with my original PSU.......

Archived