Corsair Community

Unable to boot with XMP CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 on Asus z170 pro gaming MB

r-Z

Corsair don't you find it a bit odd that everyone that has moved away from the Corsair memory to another brand has been able to get it working without any issues?

Can you explain this? Maybe its time you actually did something about it like offer us people still waiting for that magical fix some modules that actually work at the rated speeds??

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not buying Corsair memory again.

Never had problems with Corsair before, I have other Corsair memory (DDR3), H50 Water cooler, a 850 Watt PSU, heck even a keyboard (K30), I'm supporting you guys all the way, but the lack of communication by Corsair is just sad.

I'm running on 3200Mhz now but it's a pain to startup the PC, always 2 to 4 tries before it boots.

So I guess it's not fixable with a BIOS update, I'll sell this memory soon and get a other kit from a other brand.

Does Corsair have any update on what's happening, or are we kept in the dark?

Registered here to tell my results.

Build this computer not long ago. Had BIOS versio 02xx something, very old. Kingston HyperX 2666mhz memory wouldn't work XMP. Computer would not boot. Cleared CMOS and updated BIOS to 1206. Now everything works normally. The memory works XMP 2666mhz. I was quite desperate before finding this forum and thread. Thanks guys!

Parts:

Z170 Pro gaming

HyperX 2666mhz CL15 (HX426C15FBK2/16-BST1)

Hi again,

Only due to lack of conntact from Corsair, I've RMA-ed my 2x8GB memory and ordered new one - G.SKILL 3200MHz CL16 (2x8GB)

They work perfectly on Asus Z170 Gaming Pro.

No hickups, no problems with boot, no problem with XMP. Smooth, cool and easy.

I've even OC'em a little bit and they are still working very fine.

And yeah - I've read a lot of forums, where people from all over the world are complaining on Corsair Memory stick (3000MHz and 3200Mhz), on every MOBO with Z170 chipset. So it's not only Asus.

All in all - problem presists and there is still no even smallest answer from Corsair.

So, no offence Corsair - as someone said, you have very vast PC components offer, and everyone is using your stuff (me 2). But with such a attitude for a client and with total no feedback - for me - no more Corsair ever.

Hope you will take this on the chin, and accept my RMA.

For you guys - wish you good luck. You know what to do :(:

Hi again,

Only due to lack of conntact from Corsair, I've RMA-ed my 2x8GB memory and ordered new one - G.SKILL 3200MHz CL16 (2x8GB)

They work perfectly on Asus Z170 Gaming Pro.

No hickups, no problems with boot, no problem with XMP. Smooth, cool and easy.

I've even OC'em a little bit and they are still working very fine.

And yeah - I've read a lot of forums, where people from all over the world are complaining on Corsair Memory stick (3000MHz and 3200Mhz), on every MOBO with Z170 chipset. So it's not only Asus.

All in all - problem presists and there is still no even smallest answer from Corsair.

So, no offence Corsair - as someone said, you have very vast PC components offer, and everyone is using your stuff (me 2). But with such a attitude for a client and with total no feedback - for me - no more Corsair ever.

Hope you will take this on the chin, and accept my RMA.

For you guys - wish you good luck. You know what to do :(:

Hey man,

Ive done the exact same thing. I have yet to RMA the corsair kit though. Will do it today.

Thanks for your update!

Which memory channels are you putting your RAM into when you have 2 x 8GB? I've got my RAM in B1 and B2 as recommended by the motherboard manual.

I'm now starting to experience strange things like getting an overclocked failed message when I'm not even overclocking and everything is at default. BIOS 1206

Hi all,

I did this and it worked for me, how can I verify those results and the stability of the system now overall?

I only checked it this ways so far

Windows Taskmanager -> Performance -> Memory -> Speed 3200 MHz

CPU-Z static DRAM-Frequency 1600 MHz (=>2x1600 = 3200)

Spec:

MB: Asus Rog Maximus VIII Hero Alpha

RAM: Corsair CMK32GX4M2B3200C16 (2x16GB)

BIOS: Version 1601 from official page

Try this;

1. Enter BIOS.

2. Press F5 to load optimized defaults.

3. Choose XMP at the "Ai Overclock Tuner" option in the "Extreme Tweaker" menu then "No" instead of "Yes" if you get a prompt.

4. Move down to the "DRAM Timing Control" option in "Extreme Tweaker" menu and press enter.

5. Change "DRAM RAS# ACT Time" from 36 to 38 (type 38 followed by enter).

6. Move down to "DRAM REF Cycle Time" and change from Auto (or whatever is there) to 416 (type 416 followed by enter).

7. Press F10 to save and exit BIOS (other changes like fan settings etc. can be made later).

EDIT: After some hours of being shutdown, booting is not possible, error code 55 :(

Edited by Jopasa

Hi there,

i just updated to a Asus Z170 Pro and wanted to stick with Corsair RAM. So i got mystelf a CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 Kit. Seemed like a good combo at the time...

The past days i've been trying to fix the known problems that occur and found this thread. Thanks to all for the posts. But quite honestly, i'm shocked how long this issue with Corsair/Asus has been open and what little support for a working solution or workaround is coming from the two companies.

After trying your different approaches and tipps without acceptable success, i've come to a final working solution for myself. Getting new RAM and leaving Corsair behind. Sad, but i see no better option.

Greetz,

Xeno

Edited by Xeno-1X

Can admin please now put details of how we RMA the dodgy RAM back and get a refund.

It would be nice to get an official response after the promises have failed to make any updates at all.

I'm wondering one thing. It's seems clear now that there is an issue with this range of module and hope that people who bought them could get a RMA.

But will (or can) manufacturing process evolve and this be solved for future buyer ? In a schedule like weeks, months, ddr4 lifetime, half-life3,...

(sorry if my english is not perfect :-) )

just to chime in: had the "G.Skill RipJaws V rot DDR4-3200 DIMM CL14 14-14-14-36" / f4-3200c14q-32gvr manufactured in 2016 Apr.

And the Asus Z170-A with latest BIOS 1702. Exactly the same problem like you with corsair ram. Black screen, no boots, even pressing reset button didn't help always (5 sec power on/off), even with 21333-16-16-16-38 it didn't work. Always cold boot F1 error. Changing 2133 to something else, F1 overclocking error (after leaving bios, again black screen, reset button), using just 2x 8GB modules (bought 4 for a lot of money, exaclty double the price of regular 2133 ram).

So it's like the Mainboard always, with fast boot enable or not, with DRAM checks in BIOS disabled it certainly has some problem with this G.SkillL kit, could exaclty this one.

But just to inform you it's not just Corsair.

On http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z170-A/ they say they had a "Testing configuration: Intel LGA1151 i7 6700K | Z170-A | DDR4 G.Skill 3400C16". Also different 3200 kits in the asus manual are QVL.

So normally (in the last 19 years of building systems) comparable RAM did also work, at least with reduced timings or reduced clockrate.

And also when running windows I had some bluescreens which I didn't experience since win95+AMD with this kind of expensive hardware I always buy, like always Asus mainboard, Enermax PSU, etc...

And mostly I'm mad how many hours I've spent trying to "make it work". But we all here did =)

ram2.jpg

Edited by stefan042016

We are still suffered with this issue.

For me, it has been over 6 months. That’s enough.

Which should I throw away from the window

a) ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming (with overclocking failed)?

or

b) Corsair Vengeance (on me) CMK16GX4M4B3000C15?

Does anyone know rock-solid alternatives?

I've exchanged memory modules to G.Skill F4-3200C16D-16GVKB. Same as r-Z and Greg22.

The result:

• Boot: 100% success (no overclocking failed!)
  • After boot: Super duper stable (no BSOD on heavy load!)
  • In addition, now I can overclock over XMP profile!

Conclusion:

Throw your Vengeance away from the window.

Edited by ktp

We are still suffered with this issue.

For me, it has been over 6 months. That’s enough.

Which should I throw away from the window

a) ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming (with overclocking failed)?

or

b) Corsair Vengeance (on me) CMK16GX4M4B3000C15?

Does anyone know rock-solid alternatives?

Go for option "A" and purchase an X99 mobo: ;):

http://i.imgur.com/nZZ9v4U.png

It ran Prime (p95v289.win64) for 16h without a single error.

Edited by boolean

You guys need to understand this is all overclocking.. It's not guaranteed to work with every mobo or some combo.

Also you can't run 3000 over above memory at 100:100.. It has to be 100:133 otherwise it work work. You also need to disable MCH full check. ( For Asus Boards )

Please see here for ss's.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showpost.php?p=842461&postcount=278

If those are off. And it works.. You have a stable overclock. If it doesn't work. Your overclock isn't stable.. Plan and simple.

I've plugged Corsair and Gskill 3200 into my Asus Z170-A and they give the exact same results.

You guys need to understand this is all overclocking.. It's not guaranteed to work with every mobo or some combo.

Also you can't run 3000 over above memory at 100:100.. It has to be 100:133 otherwise it work work. You also need to disable MCH full check. ( For Asus Boards )

If those are off. And it works.. You have a stable overclock. If it doesn't work. Your overclock isn't stable.. Plan and simple.

I've plugged Corsair and G.Skilll 3200 into my Asus Z170-A and they give the exact same results.

dont give everyone that bull**** man. this should work no problems. the fact that this hasn't been resolved means its a hardware problem and not firmware. something is wrong with this memory and corsair won't admit it.

dont give everyone that bull**** man. this should work no problems. the fact that this hasn't been resolved means its a hardware problem and not firmware. something is wrong with this memory and corsair won't admit it.

My memory works fine on the board Asus Z170-A. It also works fine in a MSI Z170A-G45. Both @ 3200 speed.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233859

Using the 2x8 gig model.

My memory works fine on the board Asus Z170-A. It also works fine in a MSI Z170A-G45. Both @ 3200 speed.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233859

Using the 2x8 gig model.

I respect your input Dion250, but frankly it doesn't matter if yours work. Countless people are having issues trying to get XMP profiles to work.

It should just work as it was advertised to do so.

We bought 3200mhz reference RAM for it to run at 3200mhz.

Thousands upon thousands of people are experiencing issues plain and simple.

We have not been updated in months, and i can CONFIRM that moving to G.skill 3200mhz RAM (as others have here aswell) everything is running smoothly.

Why is that???

I've plugged Corsair and G.Skilll 3200 into my Asus Z170-A and they give the exact same results.

I don't aggree with you on a specific point. the word "guaranteed".

In my opinion (and i guess for a lot of people) the RAM is branded and advertised to work at 3000/3200. So yes it's "guaranteed".

Same for motherboards. it's branded and advertised to work even at 3466. so again it's "guaranteed" at 3000/3200.

If it's not guaranteed, then manufacuters should not have the right to write it on the spec sheets.

But again, money = money

I don't aggree with you on a specific point. the word "guaranteed".

In my opinion (and i guess for a lot of people) the RAM is branded and advertised to work at 3000/3200. So yes it's "guaranteed".

Same for motherboards. it's branded and advertised to work even at 3466. so again it's "guaranteed" at 3000/3200.

If it's not guaranteed, then manufacuters should not have the right to write it on the spec sheets.

But again, money = money

A set of 200 mph tires is thermally rated and guaranteed for that speed. That doesn't mean you can put them on a Ford Fusion and you can drive 200 mph. Rather than a passing analogy, this is fundamental to the problem. If a set of memory modules are garbage, they are garbage and won't run on anything. There is no specific Z170 set of modules and memory is not made that way. You don't see a X99 thread where everyone continually complains they can't boot at 3200, although this certainly is true for some people running large amounts of memory. I suspect most of your kits would boot on my system, although that does not help with your current issue. Nevertheless, swapping out of for another brand of kit that then works, does not mean that model of kit will work for all other board users. You still have the same issues in the relationship between your unique CPU, mainboard, and memory.

As for the silence from Corsair, the reasons for this should be clear from the above. If you make tires and do a lot of business with a particular automobile manufacturer, you don't publicly state their cars aren't as good as they should be and that you should have purchased a more expensive one. Oddly, some manufacturers have no problem saying this about their own products.

Hopefully you realize 3200 is a 50% overclock on the JEDEC specified 2133 and hopefully you have lower ambitions for the rest of your system. 6.0 GHz on the CPU is probably out of reach. I do sympathize with the advertising claims, motherboards in particular. In makes it hard for inexperienced users to understand what is or is not possible. Still, I doubt any of you would call up Intel and tell them their CPU is garbage because it can't run 6.0, or even the 5.2 GHz and 400 BCLK (!) advertised on your motherboard's website.

• Like 1