Corsair Community

Unable to boot with XMP CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 on Asus z170 pro gaming MB

r-Z

Bios 1102 on the pro gaming with this kit. When setting to XMP it can boot but windows just blue screens out. Booting has been unreliable at best. If I set the settings manually it becomes completely unstable and won't boot over half the time. I've tried moving the voltage but the results are the same for me.

Downgraded to 0803 and can boot reliably if I set everything manually with a slight voltage increase as I indicated on my previous response on this thread.

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello everyone, I have an Asus Z170m-plus and also get bsod, or the overclocking failed message at boot when I load my xmp profile. Although I am not using a corsair kit, the same happens with my g.skill ripjaw v 3200 kit. The only way I was able to run stable at advertised speed was to load the xmp profile, but changing the sync all cores setting to auto. Doing this however, disables the turbo speed boost.

So 1302 has appeared, it wont upgrade for me.

Getting an error when selecting it. I try selecting the 1002 version and that is ok I just don't execute upgrading to the same version so it looks like the file is bad.

It is the same size and I have unzipped!

This is 1302 for the Hero Viii

Anyone else take a look please.

So 1302 has appeared, it wont upgrade for me.

Getting an error when selecting it. I try selecting the 1002 version and that is ok I just don't execute upgrading to the same version so it looks like the file is bad.

It is the same size and I have unzipped!

This is 1302 for the Hero Viii

Anyone else take a look please.

If using EZ Flash, where are you selecting it from, SSD/HDD or USB flash drive? While selecting from SSD/HDD works sometimes, it's not a reliable method and was never supported by Asus.

Edited by Eldata

If using EZ Flash, where are you selecting it from, SSD/HDD or USB flash drive? While selecting from SSD/HDD works sometimes, it's not a reliable method and was never supported by Asus.

Hi I'm doing it from inside the BIOS screen, press F2 etc

I put the file in the same place as previously, C:\

It worked for 1002......

Right, eventually upgraded by putting 1302 BIOS onto a usb drive! Weird but it worked and would not from C:\

Anyway, it does not work, same issues as 1002. It does say I'm on 1302 as well.

When setting XMP and rebooting it comes up and says failed overclocking press F1 to sort out!!!

So manual setting and selecting 3000MHz DDR4, 2 reboots and back into windows to type this :)

Oh well looks like nothing has really changed apart from wasting another couple of hours testing bad code!!!

Really could do with a little better feedback here, however being Christmas and New Year that may be harsh but someone has put out a new BIOS that seems to fix nothing today.

Cheers

n0v

Keep in mind the SDRAM does't do anything but sit there and let current run through it. There is nothing to tweak. The die is cast. All the fiddling is on the motherboard end and those manufacturers who put things like 3733MHz(!) on the top of their advertising page. There isn't much anyone at Corsair can say, other than to redirect you to the right place, which can be awkward when there are business relationships at stake. Now if you want to flame the board makers for advertising ready 4000 MHz speeds, be my guest.

I know you guys don't want to really hear it, but it was a good 7 months before X99 was plug and play stable at 2666 for basically everyone. It's is still tough sledding above 3000, particularly if you have a full deck and it looks like that is also the case with Skylake/Z170. Whatever the limitation is, it is likely to be extremely technical and interwoven between materials and mathematics. It will get solved, but it's going take some time. Do yourself a favor and run a read/write benchmark at 2800 vs 3000 to see how little you are missing with those 200MHz. It's likely most of you can tighten your timings at 3000 or 2800 to close the gap to XMP 3200 to a near meaningless level.

"It's likely most of you can tighten your timings at 3000 or 2800 to close the gap to XMP 3200 to a near meaningless level."

For Corsair XMP 3200 it's probably easier to relax the DRAM RAS# ACT Time from 36T to 38T. But how do you tell that to an ingrate who just learnt how to flash the BIOS?

Same issue here. XMP won't boot (error code 55 = Memory not installed)

Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero mb. Updated bios to 1202 and same issue.

Highest I can get is 2800 with XMP timings (16-18-18-36). 2900 fails. Voltage is 1.35

Edited by idruz

Same issue here. XMP won't boot (error code 55 = Memory not installed)

Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero mb. Updated bios to 1202 (latest) and same issue.

Highest I can get is 2800 with XMP timings (16-18-18-36). 2900 fails. Voltage is 1.35

Do the following;

1. Upgrade to the latest BIOS....1302

2. Make sure you're using memory slots 2 & 4 if using 2 memory sticks.

3. Download ROG CPU-Z version 1.74 here;

http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z/cpu-z_1.74-rog-en.zip

4. Run CPU-Z and choose the memory tab

Next I can walk you through changing "Cycle Time" and "Row refresh" times right after choosing XMP in the BIOS.

Oops, somehow I thought 1202 was the latest. I have now updated to bios 1302, but same error unfortunately.

After enabling XMP booting always gives error 55. I have to press MemOk button to boot normally again. I am running 4x4 GB.

EDIT: Highest I can get is still 2800, ran memtest and everything is OK. I have learned that 2x8 gb is much better than 4x4 (did not know before purchase sadly). Can I not run XMP with 4x4 GB?

Edited by idruz

After removing 2 sticks and only running 2x4GB I can enable XMP successfully. Darn, now I wish I'd bought 2x8 instead of 4x4. Oh well

That's good feedback, you should be able to get 4 sticks going.

With the same 2 sticks installed, do the following;

1. Download ROG CPU-Z version 1.74 here;

http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z....74-rog-en.zip

2. Run CPU-Z and choose the memory tab

Are "Cycle Time" and "Row refresh Cycle Time" showing 36 and 320 clocks respectively?

That's good feedback, you should be able to get 4 sticks going.

With the same 2 sticks installed, do the following;

1. Download ROG CPU-Z version 1.74 here;

http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z....74-rog-en.zip

2. Run CPU-Z and choose the memory tab

Are "Cycle Time" and "Row refresh Cycle Time" showing 36 and 320 clocks respectively?

I have a problem when 2x4 3200mhz sticks are not working and even setting them manually to 2800, I lose performance. But i am away from my pc. And im pretty sure it doesnt display the following clocks, so what do if it doesnt?

Edited by Hitmarker

I have a problem when 2x4 3200mhz sticks are not working and even setting them manually to 2800, I lose performance. But i am away from my pc. And im pretty sure it doesnt display the following clocks, so what do if it doesnt?

Indicate what is displayed. I'm assuming you're using Corsair memory similar to what's in the thread subject.

Edited by Eldata

Indicate what is displayed. I'm assuming you're using Corsair memory similar to what's in the thread subject.

Sorry for the late reply, It says cycle time: 36 and row refresh cycle time: 278 This is at stock 2133 mhz, since I can't boot with anything other than stock.

Thanks!

Edited by Hitmarker

CMK16GX4M4B3000C15 (4x4GB) on ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger and XMP is flaky at best. I have latest BIOS and have tried a lot of the suggestions online. Leaving XMP disabled until this is figured out....

From what im hearing x99 boards needed a ton of time to get it figured out too. Atleast that gives me some comfort. Recent bios' are very instable for me.

I 3100 MHz stable running. 3200 MHz problems continue. wait bios ....

Try this;

1. Enter BIOS.

2. Press F5 to load optimized defaults.

3. Choose XMP at the "Ai Overclock Tuner" option in the "Extreme Tweaker" menu then "No" instead of "Yes" if you get a prompt.

4. Move down to the "DRAM Timing Control" option in "Extreme Tweaker" menu and press enter.

5. Change "DRAM RAS# ACT Time" from 36 to 38 (type 38 followed by enter).

6. Move down to "DRAM REF Cycle Time" and change from Auto (or whatever is there) to 416 (type 416 followed by enter).

7. Press F10 to save and exit BIOS (other changes like fan settings etc. can be made later).

Edited by Eldata
update