Corsair Community

Suspected bad RAM

jchal

I think I have a bad RAM module. Here's the situation:

I plug in a 256MB Corsair DIMM to bring my system up to 512MB. No problems. 8 months go by smoothly, and suddenly (no changes to the system or setup) I start getting inconsistent errors. Programs (and parts of windows) crashing seemingly at random. After a bit of confusion and troubleshooting, I try a bit of memtest86.

Bam. Hundreds of errors.

Ok... take the new DIMM out, no errors.

Take the old DIMM out, put the new DIMM in... Bam. Hundreds of errors.

So now I've been running for a while on the old module alone. Is that RMA-able, or is there additional testing you'd like me to perform?

Also, where is the PostID I should use? I've seen the cute statement:

<--- Post ID#

Unfortunately, I don't see any numbers to the left of my post. Has the forum format changed perhaps?

• Corsair Employee
Can you tell me both part#'s and the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

old DIMM: don't have that part number this second. If it's really necessary I'll open up the box again and try to post it in the near future. Though hopefully that won't be necessary, since the new DIMM did work without problems for 8 months (so the problem shouldn't be settings/incompatibility), and the old DIMM still works now (so it shouldn't be CPU/MB errors).

new DIMM: VS256MB133A

MB: Asus A7V

CPU: Athlon T-bird 1Ghz

CPU Freq: 1 Ghz

FSB Freq: 100 Mhz

SDRAM Configuration: By SPD

SDRAM CAS Latency: 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 2T

No performance settings set that I can see. I pretty much keep everything at the "stable" rather than "performance" level, since I prefer stability, and since I use this box mainly for work rather than gaming.

• Corsair Employee
Please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and I would set the Dim Voltage to 3.55 Volts and if they both pass please try them in slots 1-3 and see if that does not solve the issue. If not I have no problem replacing them. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Archived