Corsair Community

problem TWINX1024-3200XLPT

Mulet

I have just purchased a TWINX1024-3200XLPT and i experiment problems since that:

my config is

zalman400W power supply

intel P4C 3.00 Ghz

mainboard ASUS P4P800SE i865PE/ICH5, lastest BIOS : rev.1007

Nvidia GFX5900Ultra, latest drivers 6629 (i use linux)

problem description:

i get light graphical corruption when running at 200Mhz DDR @ 2.75V with 2-2-2-5 timings, as well as memtest86+ 1.40v' 5th test errors -usually always with the same pattern 0c000000 which is returned 04000000, so always a 08000000 error-bits pattern-.

i get extreme graphical corruptions when running at 233Mhz DDR @ 2.75V or even @ 2.85V with 2.5-3-3-7 timings; but usually with no memtest86+ errors with this settings.

all components tested OK (each separatly), it reveals that only my new RAM can be responsible of these issues as things runs perfectly at the same settings with my former TWINX512-4000 RAM pack.

however there is other things to point:

-graphical corruption apears only with certain applications/games :

3Dmarks03 runs perfectly excepted the two "CPU test" that shows the graphical corruptions.

-quake3 always shows graphical corruptions.

-painkiller never shows any graphical problems.

-code creature benchmark never shows graphical issues.

-Doom3, warhammer 40k DoW, warcraft3 shows graphical issues.

i'm trying to get refound or replace from the retailer but haven't obtained an answer yet.

i've tested each module from the twinx seperately.

it reveals that even in single channel one of them induce memtest86+ errors.

i really think that module is deffective rather than a problem with my mainboard's BIOS (which worked well with my precedent TWINX512-4000 at same settings...)

i've obtained a RMA number from the retailer and will return this deffective twinx to him and ask for refound. then maybe i will retry bying such a twinx from another retailer...

• Corsair Employee

If they will not do that for you, you can submit the RMA request to us and we will be happy to replace them.

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

• 2 weeks later...

my retailer have replaced the defective TWINX1024-3200XLPT by another one that works.

no more graphical issues, no more memtest errors (unless i try to get it running at 210Mhz or more with 2-2-2-5 timings and 2.75V).

at beginning i have requested a refound i order to command at TWINX1024-3200XL not XLPT from another retailer but they have not listen to me and have resent a new TWINX1024-3200XLPT.

fortunately this one holds its specifications so i keep it.

despite my retailer have changed my defective TWINX1024-3200XLPT

i've still some weird things with my computer using my new TWINX1024-3200XLPT memory :

i must set the RAM voltage to at least 2.75V to avoid graphical issues (mostly OK with all games but any shows graphical corruption (i.e : arx fatalis).

some programs randomly closes up without i've done nothing (as if killed by the O/S for attempting to access memory at forbidden addresses)

no memtest errors however (but some weird things...).

i really wonder if i had got the same results with classical black series and if Platinum series are less performing and/or reliable than blacks...

Archived