HG10 N980 & N970 Thread - Post Issues Here

TheDudeLasse

• Replies 928
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This guy went all in to install the HG10 N980. :laughing:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/561041-980ti-darwin-awards-help/?page=1

That's what most of the idiots on this thread are doing, taking matters into their own hands and crying about it after the fact that they realized they ****ed up. Best thing to do is let someone who knows what their doing do the job for you if you don't feel comfortable taking apart your 500$ graphics card. This isn't a troll or anything just common sense. Most people don't understand PC components. They think they are working on car parts and have to be torqued down on to get a satisfying result.

Please people use the PM reference on Youtube to get the job done, make sure your card is in the tech specs before buying this product and heads up... IT IS ONLY MADE FOR YOUR CARD NOT YOUR BACKPLATE FROM EVGA OR WHOEVER. If you want the damn thing not to bend DON'T TORQUE DOWN ON THE EFFING THING. All you are going to do is force down the heat speader over the chip putting pressure on your GPU and of course give you a nasty test result.

In all honesty this product might not be enthusiast grade material. Most of these people that spend 2500$ on a computer and get a boot screen think they are electrical engineers.

This guy went all in to install the HG10 N980. :laughing:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/561041-980ti-darwin-awards-help/?page=1

If there was a working 980 TI yo I'll solve it... Check out my skills while my drill press revolves it! ::pirate::

"When working with any enthusiast GPU it's always a good idea to drill random holes in the card for a better fit." :eek:

Edited by GenCrusher

Just to update:

Well that was a relief. I just finished remounting, and re-remounting the pump to the card. Actually it was about 5 times but it got the job done.

For me what worked with my H75 was:

1. Make sure the BIOS was telling the pump fan header to go 100%. (Apparently that is not always the case)

2. Loosen two screws on the N980 plate itself nearest to the IO shield.

3. Actually swap out the Intel pump mounting system for the AMD bracket.

4. Loosen the two thumbscrews nearest the IO shield and tighten the two other ones.

5. Get a plastic half inch pipe that I had that was 9 inches tall to actually fit under the rear of the card, near the power plugs, to prevent the card from sagging.

All of the above is completely and utterly absurd. But right now my 980 Ti is sitting at 51° on Valley at 99% load, no OC yet. It has been running for about 20 minutes.

This is just stupid tbh. Apparently the warping / bending of the card had been causing the pump to not properly make contact with the GPU die. Right now it is working for me but I'm quite honestly not sure this is something I want to keep in my system. The hours spent to get this running properly is ridiculous. Quite happy with the temperature but damn.

Just to update:

Well that was a relief. I just finished remounting, and re-remounting the pump to the card. Actually it was about 5 times but it got the job done.

For me what worked with my H75 was:

1. Make sure the BIOS was telling the pump fan header to go 100%. (Apparently that is not always the case)

2. Loosen two screws on the N980 plate itself nearest to the IO shield.

3. Actually swap out the Intel pump mounting system for the AMD bracket.

4. Loosen the two thumbscrews nearest the IO shield and tighten the two other ones.

5. Get a plastic half inch pipe that I had that was 9 inches tall to actually fit under the rear of the card, near the power plugs, to prevent the card from sagging.

All of the above is completely and utterly absurd. But right now my 980 Ti is sitting at 51° on Valley at 99% load, no OC yet. It has been running for about 20 minutes.

This is just stupid tbh. Apparently the warping / bending of the card had been causing the pump to not properly make contact with the GPU die. Right now it is working for me but I'm quite honestly not sure this is something I want to keep in my system. The hours spent to get this running properly is ridiculous. Quite happy with the temperature but damn.

I sent mine back a just got the evga hybrid cooler for $75. Maybe ver. 2.0 will have more extensive quality control before release.

Bumpkin the bump.

Noise is high because the fan doesn't run lower than ~1680 rpm (I don't know why). I just got my HG10 N980 <2 weeks ago and they haven't fixed it. RMA'd it and they told me that its a problem with my GPU, not their fan >_< lol. I swapped out the Corsair blower for the NVIDIA blower that came with the reference card Titan X I have. Worked perfectly! Fan quality is much much higher than the Corsair one

Noise is high because the fan doesn't run lower than ~1680 rpm (I don't know why). I just got my HG10 N980 <2 weeks ago and they haven't fixed it. RMA'd it and they told me that its a problem with my GPU, not their fan >_< lol. I swapped out the Corsair blower for the NVIDIA blower that came with the reference card Titan X I have. Worked perfectly! Fan quality is much much higher than the Corsair one

Same for me. The fan ran at 50% constant and I swapped out my 980 Ti fan for the one on the Corsair N980. It has been behaving.

But now the computer turns off if Valley has been running for 10-20 seconds. Haven't been able to figure that one out yet.

Just when I thought I had the issues solved .....

the corsair blower fans are way loud!

my cooler fans are ok, but that blower fan is nuts!

I have a pair of Nidia Titan X cards and the corsair blower cranks up to 4K rpm and makes a lot of noise

the gpu temp reported is at about 180-190F at that time, but the cooler block temp is not high at all.

it's the 100i cooler with the square pump.

at idle the gpu temps are about 55c or 130f

starting to wonder if I should have ever started this .....

hoping the stock blower works better as others seem to have found, but I am dreading pulling the cards out again and re-doing all the work!

So when will the new standoffs be available to people who already bought the bracket?

Customer Support told me today that they're still not available.

Last timeframe that I was told: Late March.

In short, those of us that bought HG10 980s when they were released are stuck waiting, because they shipped out the fixed version to retail first, instead of us.

Ridiculous.

Same for me. The fan ran at 50% constant and I swapped out my 980 Ti fan for the one on the Corsair N980. It has been behaving.

But now the computer turns off if Valley has been running for 10-20 seconds. Haven't been able to figure that one out yet.

I gave up. Returning the N980 to Amazon tomorrow. Just ordered the EVGA hybrid set.

My 980 Ti started working perfectly as soon as I removed the N980 and reinstalled the stock cooler.

I fixed my problem with the high temperatures whenever i ran games, i have a 980ti amp! from zotac fyi, it was running 30c idle to 90c full load before, and after the problem was fixed it went to 24c idle to 55 full load, nice and cold now very happy after 3 days of this problem. all i did was loosen the thumb screws a little and zorzer said he put a plastic where the card was sagging at the end where the power is connected. I guess my card waas sagging because after i put the plastic and lifted the card up, all problems were fixed. If anyone has a problem with high temps check if your card is sagging and try to lift your card up a bit.

I bought in these days the hg10 n980 and h110i gt for my evga. I build all today. I'm very newbie about this kind of stuff, i never change the cooling system of a gpu. And i'm very scared after reading here.

22c idle, 48c max after 10 minuts of Furmark stress test at 1440p. 43c playng The Witcher 3 at max setting and with Valve vr test. I use intel braket and arctic mx4.

I don't undestand if i'm really lucky or what...

http://s29.postimg.org/fre3pqxb7/IMG_4867.jpg

http://s29.postimg.org/au0j4mvc3/IMG_4868.jpg

To understand the state of work, first time with water cooling solution. I think i need a more big case :D

Sorry for my english.

Just an update on my adventure with the HG10 N980.

I had an inadequate fan on my H55 rad so I grabbed a set of the high pressure Corsair fans and wow... In push pull with the new fans and Corsair link in balanced mode the Valley bench temps are... 26c idle 57c load. And if I crank up the RPM's it cant even break 54c full load. Of course my radiator and fans are inside my case though! :eek: It's been a nice change from 74C at full load with the old fan. With Corsair Link in quite mode it maxed out at about 64c load.

I have a mean OC on this EVGA 980 ti SC so all and all I'm pretty happy with this bracket I just hope the next version mounts and support the PCB better.

Edited by GenCrusher

I fixed my problem with the high temperatures whenever i ran games, i have a 980ti amp! from zotac fyi, it was running 30c idle to 90c full load before, and after the problem was fixed it went to 24c idle to 55 full load, nice and cold now very happy after 3 days of this problem. all i did was loosen the thumb screws a little and zorzer said he put a plastic where the card was sagging at the end where the power is connected. I guess my card waas sagging because after i put the plastic and lifted the card up, all problems were fixed. If anyone has a problem with high temps check if your card is sagging and try to lift your card up a bit.

I mentioned this in the thread earlier and fully agree with this. Straightening out the sag on the card will reduce temps significantly with the HG10 N980.

I supported it first with some zip ties, but that put some strain on the PCB, so I installed a support jack under the card at the power connecter end.

I used one of these as a jack: http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Habo-Table-Leg/Pr314372001

Great permanent fix for 4,49 euros.

Hi everybody.

I installed a h60 on my gainward GTX970 with the corsair HG10 today.

But hg10's fan is very very noisy... i don't want to say that it make air noise but it's like a hair clippers...

(I specify, i remove the fan from the support and i make it turn with my finger and it make the same noise).

I can't change the fan with gpu's fan because the card is a gtx 970 gainward phantom with 2 removable fan very different...

Someone have same problem ?

And have you any answer for me other than change the fan ? xD.

(and sorry for my english, i'm french ^^)

Edited by Pierro33

Yup, noticed the same thing on my Gainward 970 (normal), then spent a few weeks hunting it down and found the manufacturer and serial number of the stock fan nVidia uses. It fits just fine.

I can't tell you if the new fan is quieter as I haven't put it in yet (this is coming in a few weeks), but it should allow to be run at a lower speed at least.

An Oculus Rift is on its way to my home, so I gave up and ordered a replacement HG10 N980 from Amazon. If you're keeping score, this means Amazon got me in 2 days what Corsair couldn't in a month.

Installed with the revised standoffs. Idle temps at ~32c, going to 75c under 3dmark testing, with the Corsair blower fan sounding like an airplane takeoff. Adjusted screws/thumbscrews and reinstalled about 7 times. Temps never got better, and frequently got worse.

Gave up and reinstalled the EVGA ACX cooler. Idles at ~29c, quiet under load. Now I've got 2 HG10s and an H100i GTX with no use. What an amazing waste of time and money.

I put my HG10 on my 980 last week, and attached the H60. Little bit of board warp. Did use a screwdriver to tighten the thumb screws just past finger tight.

Was getting CRAZY fan noise soon as I got ingame playing the Division. Like seriously loud. I'm partially deaf, and I have 4x140mm fans in my case that I can barely hear, but the fan on the HG10 was going under full load.

Temps were around 92c max which is pretty damn high. Reading this thread seems like I should just retry the screws thumb tight and that should fix it?

• 3 weeks later...

I have just installed the HG19 N980. Using this with a Corsair H55.

At idle the temp is 30deg C and at load about 65 Deg C. This compares to 41 and 80.

I have the pump fan plugged into the mobo header, do I just set this at full speed?

However what annoying me is the noise the fan makes and no matter what I do I can't seem to reduce the speed below 1600rpm,. What the hel is the problem. Have Corsair fitted a chap fan than cant go below 1600rpm?

Are there any mods I can do to improve this as the main point of going Water Cooled as the reduction in noise. Now its louder as my EVGA 980ti SC+ was silent below 50 Deg C

Edited by cms239

However what annoying me is the noise the fan makes and no matter what I do I can't seem to reduce the speed below 1600rpm,. What the hel is the problem. Have Corsair fitted a chap fan than cant go below 1600rpm?

Are there any mods I can do to improve this as the main point of going Water Cooled as the reduction in noise. Now its louder as my EVGA 980ti SC+ was silent below 50 Deg C

If you look back through the thread, you'll see a couple of posts that detail rewiring the fan to allow for slower speeds, or using an Nvidia reference fan in the HG10.

You're correct, though: many of us were looking to this product to reduce the overall noise level, and the fan they chose made it (significantly) louder in many installations.

Well I replaced the fan and its much quieter and more controllable.

Also re-seated the water block, idle 23deg, load 56deg (120 fan running at 1400rpm) and 59deg (120 fan running at 900rpm)

Which fan did you replace it with?

Ran Uniengine and Valley not sure what to make of the results though.

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=DFB3B3B4A17726B5&id=DFB3B3B4A17726B5%2110043&parId=DFB3B3B4A17726B5%219194&o=OneUp

lower numbers are with the HG10 higher numbers are with the Zotac cooler(zotac 980ti amp)

Temps wise slightly cooler with the HG10 maybe 5 degrees difference.

Noise however is a bust, at idle ZERO noise from the Zotac card, HG10 I need earplugs, at load again the HG10 is louder but not by much. Going to try a reference blower fan from a gtx660 see what difference that makes.

Edited by razy60